A slide deck? Do you mean like a PowerPoint presentation? I thought you were "looking for something that won't bore the kids".

I like to use teaching a new knot as a method of teaching EDGE. I particularly like the figure-eight knot because it is like new, is very useful, and is fairly easy to learn. You want it big so it is easy to see, but nice and flexible. I give a quick 1 minute explanation of EDGE, then walk through the steps with the knot. I explain what is so great about the figure-eight, then demonstrate how to tie it. I then guide the scouts through doing it themselves (lots of rope!). Finally, as the quicker ones get it, I have them help the others enabling them to use the skills they just learned. And just like I did in that paragraph I emphasize the steps as we go so they get the connections. Takes about 10 minutes but even if they don't get EDGE they at least know how to tie a useful knot.

You might be better served by demonstrating it at the next PLC meeting (perhaps using the example of teaching a Scout skill a la the new advancement requirements) and let them go over it with their patrols. This will give them ownership and will make it more interesting to them.

Jet! You beat me to it.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

What do you mean by "slide deck"?

Jet is right on for presenting the concept. You can also use guiding questions from you to them with a skil they already know; make them use EDGE to teach you.

"What can I use a square knot for?"

"Can you show me how?"

"I need some help with this."

"Can I try it on something?"

Then go over what just happened, ask them when they've done that with another Scout, etc.

We teach BSA's Training EDGE in our district. This is a 6 hour course. Expecting scouts can get this with a new knot in just 10 minutes is ludicrous--I mean Brilliant!

I do like the idea of doing this at the PLC but keep in mind it is a part of the TLT program.

And this is a great topic. With EDGE required for both Tenderfoot and Life ranks in a few months, it is important that we introduce this to our scouts in an effective manner.

By "slide deck" do you mean something like flash cards?(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

It also figures heavily in the new TDC (The Trainer's EDGE)literature.

I am a big fan of doing something simple like teach with teaching a knot as described above.

Just remember that for the Scouts they don't really need to start with the educational theory behind EDGE in the TLT and TDC material or be exposed to all of the managing a classroom theories in the TDC literature or in order to meet the upcoming requirement changes - they just need to be able to Explain, Demonstrate, Guide and Enable the student in the task they are teaching them - that's all.

I second that Scouts do not need six hours to learn EDGE, ten minutes and knot should inform them splendidly.

To be honest, most kids will somewhat instintually know EDGE, even if they never heard of it. Why? Because the same concept, usually labeled "scaffolding", has been standard in the education field for forty bazillion years. That means most kids have been exposed to the same teaching method for almost every school lesson they ever had starting in pre-school (unless they had all crap teachers that just talked at them). When I took over running my troop, many of my Scouts who have never heard of EDGE (I think the one kid that attended NYLT was the only one, I hadn't even ever heard of it until last May) already use it instinctually, and the rest caught on to the same concept (although we didn't call it EDGE) real quick.(This message has been edited by JerseyScout)

Jersey Scout,

Sorry if my post came across as suggesting that scouts attend the Trainer's EDGE course. This is an adult level course for trainers who will be training other adults in specific courses; it is not intended for a troop level audience.

I agree that scouts should have a great concept of training and the elements of EDGE, which have been around for some time, whatever names it has been called now or in the past. Many of these scouts may practice these basic techniques, but others may be missing key elements, especially younger scouts. As this will soon part of requirements in 2 of the 6 ranks in Boy Scouts, it is important that we ensure all scouts understand the 4 elemental parts of this concept. jet526, sherminator505 and ntrog8r have all suggested very good methods and environments in which to incorporate this in order to familiarize our scouts with the EDGE elements.

thanks for the advice

My son went to NYLT and there was great slide deck there, it was 30 minutes long, but attention spans..........

We going to do paper rockets and launch them with compressed air (20 psi max).

No offense to anyone, but try an experiment with me. Go back and read all the posts on this thread. But put yourself in the mindset of a Scout age boy. All this terminolgy would have them running for the exits and headed to soccer practice.

I'm afraid we get so caught up in the teaching methods that we make Scouting more and more like school. Scouting is meant to be a game where the boys learn to be good citizens by default.

The most important EDGE they need is the one they put on their knife!

Ken

Narraticong

After I read the posts I spoke to my 14 yo son and his non scout friend. The last thing they want is a power point, too much like school, so hence the paper rockets. Even a sit down training at the table is too much..........

If I can only get the same no powerpoint rule at my job or even at Church on Sunday!!

Thanks

EXACTLY! Boys do not join Scouting because they want to learn to be leaders or become good citizens. They join becaue we promise to take them camping and show them adventure. They join because of canoeing, archery, rock climbing, knives and axes. If we use the Patrol Method, they will learn more than we ever imagined.

Sometimes I think parents today are looking for Scouting to be another step of college prep.

Ken

>>To be honest, most kids will somewhat instintually know EDGE, even if they never heard of it. Why? Because the same concept, usually labeled "scaffolding", has been standard in the education field for forty bazillion years.

Actually, if you go to the Acme University School of Education, you'll find there's not only a name for it, mastering how to do it is a multiple graduate credit hour course.

It's called in the civilian world "Instructional Systems Development" and in the military world "Systems Approach to Training." The idea is to take a task and decide how to train it to standard, using what teaching styles, be it in-class workgroup, demonstration, guided/supervised practical exercise, and supervised from afar practical exercise.

What's lacking, imo, is the evaluation stage.

Anyway, for those who want the 600lb manual... it's at

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/26-242.pdf

That's the courseware for TRAINERS EDGE course. Heck, it's a bin item.

Oh: Ken, here I disagree with you. Teaching a Troop Instructor how to train (or even a TG or Patrol Leader) is a skill they will use lifelong. The buzzword does not matter, that the tool is an effective template does.

I agree, it's best done with things the kids need to do... like hone knives.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)