Our troop is big in prensenting rank patches immediately after the BOR. Then at the next COH, we recognize the scout in a more formal ceremony, and present their rank card at that time. I think this is a common practice for many troops.

Are there any troops which handle merit badges in the same way? If not, how do you recognize scouts for merit badges and when.

I am just looking for a fresh approach to this.

We present merit badges at the next opportunity, typically the meeting after the scout hands his signed blue card to the SM. All rank advancements and merit badges are formally recognized at the next quarterly CoH.

My son's troop waits until the next CoH to hand out the MBs. I would like to see us move toward presenting them when they were actually earned. CoH is sometimes a long time after the boy finished the badge. Case in point, my son finished the Cit in World badge in December and just received it last week. It had been so long, he'd forgotten about it.

On the other hand, when I last broached the topic, the grave concern was "what would we hand out at CoHs then?" Followed by a (perhaps) more pragmatic concern that this would either require the troop to maintain a stock of MB patches (strongly discouraged by our council, and potentially expensive) or many more frequent stops at the scout shop, which isn't conveniently located.

"On the other hand, when I last broached the topic, the grave concern was "what would we hand out at CoHs then?""

At the next meeting, give the scout his merit badge and his portion of the blue card. At the Court of Honor, give him the pocket certificates as a formality.

If the scout shop isn't convenient enough for a weekly run, make the run every 2 weeks (or maybe once a month of its really inconvenient).

The purpose of the court of honor is to HONOR. No patch or paper is required for that. Hand out milk and cookies instead.

Recognize the boy for his accomplishment no later than the next meeting and give him the patch at that time. He sews it on his uniform or sash and can proudly show it off at the court of honor.

Not convenient? Don't know what to say to that problem!

I was considering doing what many of you are doing. When I came into the troop, we were having one or two COHs a year, and MBs were only being presented then. We are now up to 3 a year, and with our continued growth, we should have 4 next year. And I do want to see that MBs are presented at meetings.

I do have one more question for those of you who present immediately. What do you do after summer camp? Do you have a Court of Honor right after camp, do you you present them at a meeting afterward? We are small enough to get away with presentatinos after summer camp, but I can see where that would be more challenging in a larger troop.

We present earned awards quarterly: just before Christmas, end of March, end of May, and in September. September covers any earned at camps. This way the badges make it onto uniforms while the Scout is still excited to have earned them. Having rolling "deadlines: also seems to encourage finishing up any badges that may have started while not being demoralizing if it takes longer since the next ceremony isn't too far off.