Community Emergency Response Team Training

I am an ASM in Virginia Beach, I heard that with Community Emergency Response Team Training a Scout can earn three Merit Badges, then found this on the web "Auburn Boy Scouts recently earned seven merit badges after taking two additional classes at the end of C.E.R.T. Training." I don't know if this refers to seven Scouts or seven different Merit Badges. Here is a link to what I think may be a typical training schedule

http://www.columbiacountyga.gov/Index.aspx?page=2586

I believe this training has an entry age of thriteen or fourteen.

It seems to me that this training would only enhance any Troops preparedness.

This is my first stop in my research, I don't need direction, my questions concern the Merit Badges and if any of you have had experience with this program.

Many thanks

I went through CERT training several years ago.

I can see how it might have some application to the First Aid MB and maybe the Emergency Preparedness MB, but seven? Did the webpage say which seven? I suggest you start with the webpage that claimed CERT training applies to seven MBs and find out who made that claim -- asking a third party like us is an exercise in futility. Same goes for whoever told you CERT training will earn a boy three MBs -- ask him for specifics. Asking us is the wrong way to go about it.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

I agree that going to the source is the best place to get confirmation.

Last time I looked at the course materials for CERT, it covered first aid, cribbing & shoring, basic extrication, use of fire extinisher, along with the beginings of a 72 hour kit.

The training is only 40 hours. First Aid and E. Prep would be the only two. Maybe some of Fireman. Of course you would complete or renew your CPR certification.

Certainly would be a great idea for a Venture Crew. The drawback for a troop may be the age requirement. The training would certainly be fun and would help the scouts see how their training could be applied in the real world.

CERT teams can be called out 24x7. The team also needs to have some basic gear and a way to transport that gear to a scene. The cribbing is bulky and heavy so probably need a small trailer. First aid gear would not be too bad. A few stretchers or materials to make stretchers, couple of surplus wool blankets, tarps, a few tool box sized first aid kits, flashlights, spare batteries, some tools to cut cribbing. Some pry bars would be useful. Spray paint for marking searched areas. Stored water and food for 72 hours of deployment for team.

Each member would need to have a daypack with basic supplies: first aid kit, flashlight, water, snacks, leather gloves, safety glasses, safety vest, hard hat, pen & paper. Mobile communications would make things easier in the field.

I was a member of a rescue squad for a little over a decade. Specifically we trained in building collapase, trench, confined space, swiftwater, hazardous materials, SAR, and rope based rescue. As a volunteer we trained a minimum of one weekend a month. We had members who had been on the team for a year and still had lots to learn. We had to literally trust our lifes to the other fellas during rescues. We learned very quickly who was going to be fetching gear from the trucks and who we were going to allow to tie the knots on the rope we dangled from.

I could never see a way to effectively use a CERT team. The training they recieve is minimal. There was no schedule for continuing education. Many of the skills are a use it or lose it. They do not have field communications.

They were designed for places like California with cramped neighborhoods cut off from public safety due to earthquakes. The neighborhood CERT team helps to stablize victims and buildings until public safety can respond. They self deploy.

For public safety to call a CERT team to respond seems like a stretch based on what I know about the way public safety tends to operate. Heck, fire departments are unwilling to call professional full time fire departments with adjoining borders because it would make them look incompentent. Calling out what would be considered untrained civilians to help would be unheard of.

Va Beach has a FEMA USAR rescue team. One of only two allowed to respond outside of the US borders. If you can get them to provide any training, you will have truely gotten world class training. I would say run as quickly as possible to sign up for any training from the VA Beach FEMA USAR team. They truely have been there, done that, and got the T-shirt, the patch and the scars to prove it.

Even if the Scouts take the CERT training and never deploy or form a recognized team, it would be very worthwhile training and team building.

I'm C.E.R.T. certified and several of my older scouts have gone through the training. No merit badges were earned nor did they ask for any. This was something that we did after working in the special needs shelters during the 2004 huricane season. Our area was hit with multiple storms. Our troop has earned community service hours by participating in the disaster drills being victims. The first aid training is not the same as the first aid merit badge, i.e. we never do CPR. You could cover several requirements for E-prep and a couple of other badges but the training in Florida won't cover any merit badge completely.