What happens when there are bad "Letters of reference"?

The Scout in question is a "paper" scout, that is to say that he does the written requirements, but doesn't want to do anything about character building. He has about 35 merit badges, but they were done with his dad for the most part.

In watching and trying to interface with the youth, I can certainly see why he would get less than positive reviews.(This message has been edited by Petem)

"There should be no "pre-screening" of the Eagle references by anyone."

ScoutNut, I was not sure if you were refering to my post, as I used that term very carefully, and intentionally. What I meant was that an Eagle candidate should carefully select whom lists on the Eagle application. Before any name is put down as a reference, he should contact them, tell them he is looking for someone who can provide a recomendation for Eagle scout, and ask if they would be willing to submit such a recomendation. If I was applying for a job, I would not list "random" people I know, but I would seek out (and ask permission in advance) to list someone who could speak well of me in relation to that which I am applying.

I certainly did not mean that anyone should "screen" letters received before they go before the EBOR. I hope I did not mistakingly leave that impression with anyone.

The Council I'm with does not have any sort of a stand on these letters.

Very few Scouts bother with them.

Those that do tend to ask the person, in person and whoever that might be tends to write the letter and give it to the Scout. Most often asking "Is that OK?"

I like to think that I know the Scouts that I serve.

I don't think that I could get blindsided?

By the time a Lad has made his way to Eagle, I would hope that I'd know a lot about him.

If I as a Skipper thought that he wasn't a good candidate? He and I would have had a little chat and we would be working on plan B.

Eamonn.