Hello all. I got Eagle Scout in May of 2000. I was active in the troop and already had 13 more merit badges than are required for Eagle. I was pursuing Palms but my CoH kept getting delayed for reasons still unknown to me. Let's just say that the troop wasn't that organized. Is there any way to ever be awarded a Bronze and Gold palm for my efforts? I would have pursued this sooner but I guess I just figured that I missed out. I really think I deserve to have them awarded though. Any ideas?

Let me be blunt.

Even assuming earliest possible Eagle age of 13 in 2000, You're way over 18 now.

You can ask your District Advancement Chair, but I think you're going to find this train left the station several years ago. One responsibility on your part was to be timely about declaring your disagreement with unit decisions.

ACP&P from my reading does not support a delayed advancement for this reason.

You're 26 years old. You had already had at least two exposures to your District/Council Advancement Committee: When you presented your ELSP, and your EBOR.

You own a share of this as well: As your unit kept deferring palms after Eagle, you didn't get it in touch with someone from the District.

Given the facts I see, this is a dead letter. Many of us have missed opportunities in life. Press forward, vice looking backward.

By no means is it a dead issue. Check with your Council Advancement committee. Depending on your ability to document the other requirements (ie, tenure, etc.) I think you have a good shot. Most advancement committees will -- or at least should -- look favorably on an appeal if the fault was with the unit, not the Scout. If you have a letter from a former committee member or other troop leader backing up your version of events, I think you have a very good chance.

I know our district advancement chairman is researching the case of an Eagle candidate who had completed all the requirements but his troop folded before he could complete his EBOR. According to the DAC, it bird will very likely be awarded. And this is from the early 60's!

One of my brothers was a real fan of mixed metaphors, so in his honor I want to add:

Yes, the squeaky wheel does get the oil, but one washes the other, and then it's as easy as falling off a log. We can always burn that bridge when we come to it.

(or something like that)

Guy :-)