Aquanaut Activity Pin

Safe Swim rules must be followed

Where I live there are so few BSA lifeguards that no one would ever get any swimming requirements signed off until summer camp.

The local pool has trained lifeguards and they do a great job. Scout swim tests are free!

Chekc with your local YMCA. They may let you come in and swim for free if it is for advancement. Not to mention the pool was indoors. So if you have one like that in your area, then this is something that you can do in the colder months.

I'd like to concur with checking at the local YMCA -- maybe ours is atypical, but out of the entire lifeguard and aquatics staff, there are two Eagle scouts. With the one we checked with, he was more than happy to sign off on 2C/1C swimming requirements and Aquanaut requirements.

I have now taken two different webelos dens to a local YMCA and gotten swim lessons from their staff. I tell them that I am a scout leader and want the boys in my den to be able to swim before summer camp and to earn their aquanaut pin. They charge only a few bucks per kid for a one hour lesson. After 3 or 4 lessons I have been surprised/impressed how much progress some kids make and they all got their aquanaut pins.

One boy who is special needs still did not want to swim when we got to camp, but that was more fear factor of being in a big lake. Next summer we'll be at a camp with a swimming pool, so maybe he'll do better.