Canadian Scout Ranks Transfer to BSA Ranks

Refer to the Advancement Committee Guide #33088. Under Miscellaneous Topics, you will find a section on Youth of Other Nationalities. The Scout must present evidence of membership and advancement, and then must appear before the advancement committee to determine his rank.

Ed

Here is the procedure that Ed refers to:

"A youth from another country who either temporarily resides in, or has moved permanently to, the United States may join a BSA unit and participate in the BSA advancement program. He must present to the council service center available evidence of membership and advancement level from his previous association. Having done this, he then must appear before the district or council advancement committee with at least one member of the receiving unit committee present to review his previous advancement work and to determine which BSA rank he is qualified to receive. This policy applies to all ranks except Eagle Scout. The BSA rank of Eagle Scout cannot automatically be considered the equivalent of another associations highest rank. A Boy Scout who holds his associations highest rank could qualify for the rank of Life Scout, and the district or council advancement committee should prescribe certain merit badges for him to earn before consideration for the rank of Eagle Scout. He must also fulfill all other requirements for the rank of Eagle Scout.

This policy also applies to members of the BSA who, while living abroad, have earned advancement in another Scouting association."

I hope you have better luck than me. I had a 17 year old foreign exchange student form Thailand join our Troop several years ago. I tried in vain to get the advancement information for the ranks in Thailand so that I could fit him into the ranks of our program.

Boy Scouting may be similar in all countries, but it isn't exact. In fact, I found out that in Thailand it is quite different, one might argue a completely different program entirely.

I never did find a rank that was similar and he spent his time with us simply participating as an older Scout, there to support the youth leadership (which was fine with him).

To Thunderhead...

Many Councils have as a volunteer an International Representative. One of his/her roles in life is to be a resource person about other National Scouting associations. Its position patch is purple, as in the color of the WOSM FDL.

Try asking your DE or SE if there is such a volunteer in your Council.