adjourning a SM conf without signing

That's fine, GW, but I'm not going to bite. I respectfully decline the opportunity to spend the weekend researching, quoting and retyping various passages of BSA literature.

Clearly, there is expectation that a Scout do more with a position of responsibility than to hold the position.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine, GW, but I'm not going to bite. I respectfully decline the opportunity to spend the weekend researching, quoting and retyping various passages of BSA literature.

Clearly, there is expectation that a Scout do more with a position of responsibility than to hold the position.

Nothing in BSA advancement literature says anything about doing a good job, all the Scout has to do is hold the position.

Actually the wording is "serve actively" which is different than just holding the position.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

GW

Just as your belief that a boy Scout aged youth urinating in someones water bottle is not a cute prank, your understand that to Actively serve in a leadership roile is identical to being active in the unit are the same thing is wrong and unsupported by anything in the BSa program.

But then you already new that.

Ha, I get to do this again

I agree with GoldWinger, if a Life Scout is tabbed a Quartermaster and is on the troops records as a Quartermaster for 6 months, then his POR is complete. If he never showed up at any activity is irrelevant. If he is on the books the time counts. Now, I would expect that after a month of no shows, the troop leadership would investigate the situation and inquire about the scout's interest in the position, the troop or scouting period. If the scout shows no inclination to do anything, he gets removed from the POR and thats it until he requests another chance. You don't let him stay in a position for 6 months and then say hey you didnt so anything, so it doesnt count, you counsel him along the way and then if necessary take him out of the position so the time doesnt count.

Overall, its the same effect, advancement is stopped and the program follwed.

You are assuming that the adult leader disn't do his or her responsiblility.

That is different than the scout not doing his. The question here was 'what is the requirement' , and the requirement is quite clear that for the scout to have completed it he must actively serve in the position and not just hold the office.

Gee BeeDubya, when I brought the subject up about a year ago, it was pointed out to me that BSA did not support the position that not doing the job could hold a boy back. http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=173293#id_173313

As for peeing in someone's water bottle, it is hi-larious when you're 11 but you skipped childhood so you wouldn't know about that.

Hey GW remember how a few posters have said that every now and then you post something that's actually worthwhile? Well your views on Boy Scouts urinating in other peoples water bottles as being acceptable youthful fun is probably not gonna be of those times.

Do I understand that some kids would do this, sure I do. I also understand that some would shoplift, and some will trespass and some will bully. I also know that all are wrong and so does an 11 year old. What is more surprising is that some adults don't know it.

Highcountry if you have a scout that is bullying other boys and you have not removed him then you are in violation of the BSA youth protection policies. Advancement is the last thing with that scout you should be worried about. Forget the grandmother, forget whatever the last Scoutmaster did or didn't do. You are the Scoutmaster now and YOU are responsible for the health and safety of the other scouts in your charge. You need to get your priorities straight and take action to protect the other scouts.

From Boy Scouts of America Rules & Regulations

ARTICLE VII. YOUTH MEMBERS

GENERAL CLASSIFICATIONS

SECTION I.

Active

Clause 1. An active youth member is one who, with the approval of a parent or guardian if necessary, becomes a member of a unit; obligates himself or herself to attend the meetings regularly; fulfills a member's obligation to the unit: subscribes to the Scout Oath or the code of his or her respective program; and participates in an appropriate program based on a member's age, as promulgated from time to time by the Boy Scouts of America.

" Well your views on Boy Scouts urinating in other peoples water bottles as being acceptable youthful fun is probably not gonna be of those times."

Where did I say that it was acceptable? I just said that it was fun for an 11 year old. Car surfing isn't acceptable but it's fun too. Heck, farting is fun but it's usually not acceptable.

I'll bet that you play bridge.

Ah, the secret Rules and Regulations that the unannointed may never see. . . hmmmmm . . . BSA may say that but what they want is something else. Our DE (remember you're the one who always says to go to the professionals) says that active means "registered."

Beavah the rule you refer to relates only to the active membership requirement and not to the leadership requirement so it is not relevant to the topic of the thread.

GW you cannot have it both ways. You have already condoned the boy's actions.