Scouting Emblem Question...

We make things so difficult sometimes. If you take a rubber band (which has no beginning and no end), pass it through a ring, and then loop it back over itself, you will get the same kind of "knot" that is at the bottom of the emblem. Basically, you need a loop to start with - how you get it probably doesn't matter: square knot, granny knot, overhand, on a bight or not...

I believe the knot is more symbolic than anything else. It's supposedly a reminder to "do a Good Turn daily". And what this "knot" is is really nothing more than a loop of rope/string/whatever "turned" around the ring and itself.

I don't have access to any of my books right now but I seem to recall something in the Webelos handbook about the parts of the scout badge, including the overhand knot symbolizing "good turn daily" business. One of the requirements for arrow of light was to describe/explain the parts of the scout badge. Maybe the scouter in question was expecting that a young man who recently (?? guessing here - you didn't mention the age of the scout) earned AoL would already know that? In other words maybe it was intended to be a softball, albeit one that turned out not to be in reality.

We had this converstaion on the forum 3 years ago. The final compromise was that the knot is symbolic and not actual. It is an artists rendering of a knot. In fact if you look at different images of the knot on various badges and in various images you will see that is it does not always look the same. Just as the stars on the emblem do not look like actual stars.

What is constant is the sybolism of reminding the wearer to do a good turn daily.

To ask these kinds of questions at a board of review is ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time. To withold advancement based on the answers to these kinds of questions is repugnant, and hopefully someone on the board has enough personal character to defend the Scout and stop that kind of behavior.

BW: "In fact if you look at different images of the knot on various badges and in various images you will see that is it does not always look the same."

In the early emblems they are obviously symbolic, not being a real knot at all. In the green patch years it is nothing more than a loop with the rope just wrapped around. You are right that they are symbolic and it is a ridiculous question to ask.

Which makes me want to ask it at the next Eagle SMC. I do love seeing the look of panic as they think I'm serious. :D

I was at a day camp meeting where a group of cub scout leaders and boy scouts was asked if they knew how to tie an overhand knot the universal response was no. We then asked them if they knew how to tie their shoes. The first knot you tie to tie your shoes is an overhand knot. Unless you are a total yutz you can tie an overhand knot you just don't know its name.

" Sorry Neil -- I don't think panicking a Scout for the fun-of-it does a thing to advance character, citizenship or fitness."

That's why they make vanilla and chocolate. :)

I wouldn't do it with a Scout who is nervous or marginal. But for a guy who comes in loaded for bear and arrogant as the day is long -- it can sometimes be beneficial to teach that old age and treachery can defeat youth and enthusiasm. :)