Making MBs Not "School"

At our summer camp a few years ago, we and the staff were "forbidden" from calling the MB "classes". They are officially "sessions". Don't want them to think they are in summer school. Of course, the teaching methods didn't change. Still had a group of 11 year olds sitting on logs with a 14 year old reading (badly) the book to them.

My district's spring camporee this year is going to be a merit badge-o-ree. They're offering things like Music, Collections, Railroading, and a few others. Understand that my troop ALWAYS attends district events - we see it as an obligation in order to keep events viable.

This year we're not going. As soon as the boys heard that it was going to be merit badges, they said things like "that's not the way merit badges are supposed to be earned," and "forget it - we want the skills competitions," and so on. So they decided instead to organize a trip to Boston to walk the Freedom Trail.

My boys enjoy earning merit badges, but I have to think that they understand the value of them and the "right" way to earn 'em.