Crosswalking the Aims, Methods, and the Youth Program...

Maybe I am outside the norm, but when I attend training, I DO want to know the information, but if the presenter stands there and reads word for word from the syllabus, I will be bored out of my skull. Sorry, I will be making lists of all the things I could have done during this time and what I need to do next and wonder why I havent done quite a few other things. Nothing kills learning like a drab teacher who shows no emotion. Now, I am in a Council that mandates training for all direct contact leaders, Committee Chairs and members so I have gone to a lot of training. Bad experiences do not keep me from attending training, but having an engaging presenter to me is not a bonus, it should be required.

That is very tru OGE, but bear i mind there are very few BSA training syllabus passages that say "Read this to the participant". The actual BSA training, incorporates, discussion questions, vidoe, games, handouts, PowerPoint etc.

Even if a novice presenter followed the directions given the in the presenter instruction there would be very little if any information "Read' to the participant".

The information on this and how to use the syllabus to deliver an interesting presentation is hwat the BSA 500/ Training Develepment course is all about (if the trainers for that follow the syllabus :) )

Eamonn,

ACP&P 33088 and Requirements 33215 provide the HOW of advancement. There's a lot of nuts and bolts in these pubs.

SFAIK, no BSA publication shows the blueprint... the inter-relationships of the actual tasks, back through the Methods of Scouting, in turn back to the Aims of Scouting.

As I said, my professional background in training came out of the Army's adaptation of Instructional Systems Development. It seems to me reasonable and logical that one tool for the advancement volunteer in scouting at District and Council, and the program unit serving Scouter in the trenches... would be some form of graphic which interrelates and ties the standard advancement program (Scout->Eagle) together.

(Definition of Standard advancement program: Those specified tasks in BSA Requirments #33215 which a young man must complete to earn one or more of the six ranks of Boy Scouting).

Yes, we've designed the program with huge, huge flexibility. Where, when I was a Scout, you worked T tasks, then 2C tasks, then 1C tasks, now if I do my 3 meals for the patrol in my 3d month as a Scout, I may not have earned TF, but my PL/Instr/TG/SPL/ASM/SM can sign off my 1C cooking requirement. We allow the Scout great discretion in when he chooses to earn the 12 required MBs for Eagle, only mandating a percentage for Star and Life. We allow the Scout to undertake a leadership/service position based on his own skills and desires... anything from Bugler to SPL.

The Scout does get the final choice on how he executes the roadmap... but no one ever seems to have explained the logic of the roadmap to Scouters...

Does that make sense?

The road map is explained duing New Leader Essentials and the job specific BASIC training. The problem is that less than 3 out of ten youth contact leaders go to basic training, and not all trainers teach the actual course syllabus. If you believe that that information is not being shared in your council/district training courses you should have a talk with the council training chairman and share your concern. I would be curious as to their response.

Good Luck

BW

The road map is explained duing New Leader Essentials and the job specific BASIC training.

Nah, I think John-in-KC is talkin' about somethin' far more specific, derivin' from his professional training background. What educators call "alignment", presented in a specific kind of easy to use graphical format.

Dat's not in NLE or Scoutmaster Specific. Closest thing I've seen to it is in BA & LongHaul's document in the FCFY Calendar thread.

B