Religious Awards

Go to the link, scroll down to this section:

DEVICES FOR THE YOUTH RELIGIOUS SQUARE KNOT

Then click on the link listed in the second paragraph of that section:

For more information on the use of Square Knot 'Devices' visit Mike Walton's Devices on Square Knots page.

Read his page; it clearly states that a scout can wear the religious knot regardless of BSA's recognition of a given award. So, for example, a Unity scout who earns the Unity award "God in Me" could wear the knot, despite the fact that BSA no longer recognizes their award.

As has been pointed out to me, Mr. Walton's page is not an official BSA page. Of course, I've been slammed for quoting council sites.

Go with whatever you want to believe, there are no uniform police but nothing in any official publication on my shelves indicates that Mr. Walton is correct.

The sad truth is that getting an answer from BSA is nearly impossible. If you find a way to ask National, they'll say ask your Council. If you ask your DE, he/she will just shrug and say, "I don't know" in an irritated manner that implies "why are you bothering me, I have more important things to worry about like creating new units."

You are so right. It seems that so much of what BSA puts out is more of a guideline, and less of a hard rule. It would be nice if there was a definitive answer on this issue. While I know his site is not an official BSA site, he does make a good case for why he is saying what he is saying. And really, when it comes down to it, if BSA isn't going to print anything that is definitive and leaves it open to interpretation, then I guess they can't really fault someone for doing it "wrong" if they never defined "wrong" in the first place.

"A Scout is Reverent." All Scouts show this by being faithful in their duty to God. Some go further and give special service. This can qualify them for a religious emblem. Such an emblem is not a Scouting award. It is conferred on a Scout by his religious leader.

When my daughter joined a Venture Crew, the question came up that she had earned a religious award as a Girl Scout, therefore was she able where the knot on here Venture uniform? As far as everyone (the church, the district, the council) could come up with they answer was yes she was allowed to wear the purple knot, but not the actual pin she received.

So to answer your question, if your son earns ANY kind of religious award, approved by BSA or not, he is entitled to were the knot.

k0jsy,

To answer your question, I had never heard of your denomination before you mentioned it. I had to google it, and found there are two CONGREGATIONS in the Kansas City metro. We are a 1M + Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area, so your local presence is pretty darn small. SFAIK, neither of these congregations charter units. If you want me to check, I will next week.

As far as the square knot itself is concerned, I would go by whatever BSA Relationships Division and the Uniform Guide say more than any Pack/Troop/Crew website. Recognition of a youth religious award is a "lifetime" matter: The Scout can bridge that award into adulthood, as he can AOL, Eagle, Venturing Silver, or a West Fellowship. I would not give a youth member that knot lightly.

Packsaddle, in the BSA/UUA conundrum, I tend to agree that BSA is the one not necesarily playing nice. Still, I would think it right for both sides to be able to accept each others core value sets. I have not read this organizations, nor do I think I need to, since I do not plan to leave the Lutheran church anytime soon. Does that make sense?(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

"When my daughter joined a Venture Crew, the question came up that she had earned a religious award as a Girl Scout, therefore was she able where (sic) the knot on here Venture uniform?"

Since the award is neither a Girl Scout nor Boy Scout award, she may wear it IF it is an award RECOGNIZED by BSA, pin and knot.

The key thing here is that the knot represents the medal. If the medal isn't recognized, then you cannot wear it and by extension cannot wear the knot to represent it.

I wasn't a Boy Scout but if I had earned the Alpha-Omega award as a youth, I could now wear both the knot and the medal because the award is recognized by BSA.

People may try to spin this any way that they want but that's only because they don't understand the Religious Awards program.

And really, when it comes down to it, if BSA isn't going to print anything that is definitive and leaves it open to interpretation, then I guess they can't really fault someone for doing it "wrong" if they never defined "wrong" in the first place.

Welcome to the forums by the way

This is all really very simple. BSA administers a Religious Emblems program. Boys are encouraged to learn about their faith. An award is available if the boy meets the requirements. The requirements are defined by the particular faith, and approved by BSA. The pin-on medal is designed by the religious institution, and approved by BSA to be worn on the BSA uniform. A cloth knot representing the medal may be worn instead of the medal. The knot is not a generic religious award; it represents only the award offered by the religious institution and approved by BSA.

There are 35 or 40 faiths that have developed a program. If your faith is not one of them, there is no award for you. The BSA Relationships division can tell you what needs to be done to set up a program and get it recognized. It sounds like youve taken the first steps to make that happen. But until that is completed, there is no award. Sorry.

For more information about the programs see the official BSA web site:

http://www.scouting.org/awards/religious/index.html

For more information about how to wear the knot or medal it represents refer to the BSA Insignia Guide:

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/33066/

One note to what FScouter said:

The insignia guide online specifically says it's an adaptation of the printed matter, and a real copy is a necessary reference.

This is unlike BSA Requirements #33215 which is fully online.