BSA Swimmer Test (ERROR IN REQUIREMENTS!)

As the original poster, I'd like to thank all who've participated. It's been both helpful and enlightening.

+ To those who've pointed out that most Boy Scouts can't float, not because they are lean, but because they are thrashing around, I can only say . . . it's my guess that you are right, and that that's something I'll need to keep in mind. I'm saving this page, and will learn and apply, as needed, some of the help-them-float techniques described here.

+ But, I'm not surprised to see the confirmation that there have been occasional and widespread problems due to a rigidly written requirement that can NOT be completed as written by some fit Scouts who are excellent swimmers.

+ I'm also not surprised to find that I'm not the only one who's experienced 'near-drowning' as a result of a literal and doctrinaire application of this requirement. I would ask those of you who still think everyone can float, to consider how frightening and demoralizing it can be to experience this -- even if it only happens to a few boys -- especially for boys who are much better swimmers than those around them who are passing with ease.

+ I am surprised and encouraged that a number of apparently experienced Scout leaders handle the issue with a flexible and informed 'adaptation' of the requirement.

+ I should probably say that I remain unconvinced of the practical value of a face up float as a self-rescue technique. Someone who finds it difficult to swim breast or side stroke in chop or swells is not going to be able to 'rest' floating face up! Maybe it's a useful 'rest' at the conclusion of a swim test . . . but that's pretty artificial situation.

+ I knew this, but should have mentioned it earlier: experienced swimmers find an easy freestyle (Australian crawl) very, very restful. I remember learning to swim well as adult, about 15 years ago, and I remember the 'drowned rat' feeling I got from 25 yards of face-in-the-water freestyle, but I tend to forget about it now. My sons have never experienced that feeling themselves. For all of us, as for most experienced swimmers, easy freestyle is no more strenuous than strolling at a 1 - 2 mph pace! Again, experienced swimmers can 'feel' the water around their heads, and can co-ordinate their breaths so that they breathe between the waves.

+ Also, experienced swimmers swim breast stroke as a partly or mostly face-in-the-water stroke. It's very easy to adapt this stroke to swimming in rough water, without breathing in anything but air.

+ The consensus among the experienced swimmers I spoke to is that, in order of preference, breast stroke, side stroke and free style (crawl) are the preferred methods to 'rest' in open water. No one I checked with would be willing to swim backstroke in open water. I do recognize that elementary backstroke is possibly a good way for weak swimmers to rest, if in VERY calm water.

+ I appreciate all the tips about working with weak swimmers. I know this info will help me. I'd like to return the favor by offering a tip for many of you, concerning the absolute BEST way to turn weak swimmers into good swimmer: SUMMER SWIMMING. In most metropolitan areas around the country, there is some type of competitive summer swim league. If you can get any of your boys to participate, I would encourage you to do so. 2 - 3 summers of swimming competitively can make a HUGE difference in both skills and confidence. The cost is very low ($100 - 200 for the summer) compared to that many hour of swim instruction, and the practice (usually 3 - 5 days per week, 1 - 2 hours per day, for 8 - 10 weeks) is invaluable. Once learned, swimming well tends to be a lifelong skill.

Thanks again,

GaHillBilly

After midnight, anything whether it be Old Gray Eagles, Beagles or Owls, all look the same. And yes Beagles can become a bird of the feather with the right trajectory off the boot.

JUST KIDDING. I would never do that. I'm sorry of a PETA person, Prefer Eating Tasty Animals, that is.

YIS,

ASM915

Yes, I am also familiar with the "just can't float" syndrome. It's never been a problem for me but there ARE certain body types that just won't accommodate a floating position - especially back floating.

I am a fan of the drownproofing style where one floats face down, arms and legs relaxed and hanging or even suspends as much as a foot under the surface (fresh water) taking a scissors kick or slow arm sweep to rise for a breath and then resting 15-40 seconds before repeating for the next breath. It is a very restful position when the back float cannot be achieved/maintained. My PADI course Instructor - A Course Developer insisted that this lesson be learned as the last ditch, last option self-rescue position.

The no movement float can be more stressful - and thus less restful than many other option. Again, the guidelines stress the rest component of the float not the no motion of it.

My input on being able to pass the swim test is first, is the Scout swimming well or are they flailing to get to the float portion. Second, did they expend a lot of wasted energy or were they efficient in getting there? Thirdly, are they visibly comfortable in the water? Fourthly, is the lack of the float a technique issue or a body type issue. If technique, then they need to learn, if body type then the drownproofing position should come into play. It may not be preferred but IS acceptable.

GahHillBilly, welcome!