Troop Library Update

I spent a day this weekend going through our troop MB library. I knew that we had a bunch of outdated books and the library needed to be made more current. Here's what I found.

We had a total of 58 books in the library. Of these, only 15 are the current versions (and that includes multiples of a couple of them).

43 MB books are out of date, compared to the dates of the last revisions (not necessarily the last printing). Most of them are WAY out of date.

Some of the books go back to 1968. Wilderness Survival: we have 7 copies: 2 current ones, and the rest are single copies of various earlier revisions.

We obviously have a lot of holes in our library.

Some of the boys earn MBs without the book, especially at summer camp. Things like swimming, canoeing, whitesater, rifle, archery, basketry, leatherwork.

They boys and I had a good discussion at camp about merit badges. There seems to be interest in exploring new avenues. We're changing our procedures so that the boys need to read through the MB pamphlet before asking for blue card. That way they'll know what they're committing to. The boys liked that idea. I believe it will encourage more MB completion and fewer partials.

Here's what I think I want to do:

1. Replace all outdated MB books. Either use them as fire starters or see if someone wants them as collectors items. I am reluctant to hold on to old books just for the sake of reminiscing.

2. Obtain at least 1 copy of each current MB book, with a few notable exceptions. (For example, Farm Mechanics and Horsemanship don't make sense around here, nor does Metalworking with my current group. Waterskiing and Motorboating don't apply because no one waterskiis or has access to a motorboat.)

3. Only a few MB books warrant having multiple copies (ER being the most obvious, and then not even all of them).

4. Our District has a counselor for every MB except one (I don't know which one that is, but it's not likely to be important). Geographically, we're small enough that travel is not a major concern.

I realize that updating the library will cost money, but I believe that it is a worthwhile investment. The committee can afford to spend the $, but the CC is reluctant. I know that some of the information in some of the books is still valid, even though requirements have changed. But here's my thinking.

* Giving boys a list of merit badges has little to no result. No kid wants to work off a simple list. Even the poster showing the MBs draws little interest.

* Reading through the requirements (as in the annual Requirements book or online) is basically boring - especially if you don't already know something about the subject.

* Getting the MB book into the hands of the boys piques their interest. The pictures draw them in. The read a few paragraphs and want to read more.

* My thinking is having the actual up-to-date books readily available and promoted (by our new librarian, who wants to make a difference) will encourage the scouts to explore new areas. As I've told them, the purposes or MBs are, among other things, to expose them to new things that might develop into a personal hobby or perhaps even spark a career interest.

I would like to know if my thinking is on track or off base. Have any of you had the same issues? How did you deal with them? What would/do you do with old MB books?

Old MB books may have viable and accurate material. The issue is their requirements are not current.

The key word is MAY. I'd have an MB counselor for each badge tell you whether to keep the book, or put it up as a collectible on eBay.

Neither add to nor subtract from. Why would you have the Scout read the book in advance? It seems to me a better method would be to present the young man with the "DO" requirement from a merit badge he's tentatively interested in, and have him DO it. Then, he's got at least some investment. Then, you can hand him off to a Counselor.

I'd look at the US-Scouts webpages on merit badges, many of them have links to good info and things to do.

Best way to encourage new MBs as a SM is to use SM minutes on an Eagle Scout who became a doc, a mechanic, a farmer, a airplane structural engineer working in composites, and so on.

Old MB books do not have much value, unless they are REALLY old (tan cover). Most on eBay go unsold, since they are so common. If you really want to get rid of them, I would donate them to the local charity thrift store (or OA Patch auction). (I never destroy or throw away a book!) I just gave a whole box of them to my LD nephew who is 12 and still can't read or write. But he does love the subj material, and maybe by putting a book in his hand (other than a school book) it will do some good.

If it were my decision, I would replace them only as needed...no sense having the current issue of Beekeeping or Fruit and Nut Culture, if no one's interested in it. I would have the Eagle required ones, then buy others as requested. I find they don't read the pamphlets anyway.

What if National sold an annual DVD-ROM or CD-ROM set that included all current pamphlets and requirements, with permission to print out copies for boys in a unit to use? Would you buy it, and how much would you pay?

I like the concept, however I think a better idea would be to have ALL BSA pubs and forms available for .pdf download...that way they could update individual pubs as needed without having to wait for next year's CD. (The OA is in the forefront on this). We could have them password protected (BSA membership number?). Charge an extra dollar for registration to offset the revenue loss? Maintaining pdf files is a whole lot cheaper than publishing hard copies. Heck, Irving could probably lay off a whole department of staff members, to boot!

I would still have the basics available in hard copy (Handbook, Fieldbook, etc). But all that other stuff should be online and free to members.

To the question of BSA publications:

I really like the idea of pdfing most everything. Then, the Scout can print out what he needs.

To the issue of getting youth to the point where they want to do a MB: Most MB's have one or more DO elements (in other words, go and DO SOMETHING) in them. Let's look at the themes of the 2007-8 program year and see if we can x-walk some MBs to program:

Month, Theme, MB(s)

August, Fishing, Fishing, Fish & Wildlife Management

September, Athletics, Swimming, Cycling, Personal Fitness, Canoeing

October, Science, Chemistry, Insect Study, Mamal Study, Nuclear Science, Plant Science

November, Cooking, Cooking

December, Wilderness Survival, Wilderness Survival, Backpacking, Hiking

January, Communications, Communications

February, Pioneering, Pioneering

March, Environment, Environmental Science, Oceanography, Weather

April, Orienteering, Orienteering, Backpacking, Hiking, Cycling

May, Mechanics, Auto Mechanics, Metalwork, Woodworking

June Hiking, Hiking, Backpacking,

July Shooting, Rifle Shooting, Shotgun Shooting, Archery

August, Sports (see last August...)

If unit leaders encourage SPL and PLC to just follow the National program, there are opportunities to DO something which may get a young man interested in exploring a MB!(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)