Eagle Board of Review - National v. Local Policy

Hi Boris, welcome back, eh?

I think an important piece that you're missin' is that the BSA is not a centralized, authoritarian organization. Rather, the BSA is a resource provider, like a textbook publisher. There just ain't no such thing as "National will" when it comes to particular aspects of running program. If that's what you're lookin' for, one centrally-standardized organization like McDonalds, you need to go find a different Scouting group. That's not the BSA.

Are there any sanctions against local units/districts/councils that choose to ignore stated NATIONAL policy?

First, yeh gotta understand that when you use "National Policy" in that context, ACP&P isn't included. That's a support document. National policy (like no girls in boy scout programs) comes from the National Executive Board. The penalty for violations of those things is non-renewal of a charter to use BSA program materials.

Are inspections or audits done by any BSA official outside the council to assure compliance?

Nope. Compliance with program materials is really not part of the BSA business model, and no resources are allocated to it. There is in fact an expectation that local units are going to adapt BSA materials to meet the youth program needs of the Chartering Organization that operates the unit. On a council level, compliance comes through an effort at educating council level executives, but there is still an expectation that local councils are going to adapt operations to the needs of units in their area and the mandates of state law.

Are there any penalties for failure to comply?

With procedural guidelines? Not really.

I agree with you, mate, havin' BSA documents online in a well-indexed manner would be a nice thing (but remember, BSA is a resource provider as a business, so don't hold your breath). But yeh have to understand that different materials have different revision cycles, and all materials have to be read with experience that comes through training and familiarity with all the other materials.

Beavah

Boris,

Beavah beat me to much of what I was going to say.

Now, one of your comments was:

BSA National would be well-served to create an Ombudsman and policy answer desk designed to unite the volunteers.

As Beavah stated, I think some training (New Leader Essentials, Scoutmaster Fundamentals, Troop Committee Challenge) might be in order. There are both professionals and volunteers, in your local area, whose job is to provide answers to questions: They are your District Executive (a member of the BSA professional service) and your Commissioner's Service (all volunteers). The Commissioner's Service is charged with providing expertise, support, and answers to unit serving Scouters, as an extension of the work of the Professional Service.

Of course, training helps unit serving Scouters understand the resources available to them. May I commend to you training for your position in Scouting?

Now, as to your comments about whether or not youth may ask for members on their Eagle Boards, well, it seems to me you're hiding part of the issue from us. From my experience, an EBOR is a coming of age and a defining moment for many of the young men honored to receive it. The majority of these young men have worked very hard to get to the threshold of Eagle. IMNSHO, they deserve our support in making their Eagle Board of Review a lifelong special night.

Our job as Scouters is to support the youth. Many of the Scouters here and in the field have a simple mantra: "Whatever it takes."

YIS