SM Conference other than advancement

Over the past several weeks, I've been holding SM Conferences for advancement in rank: one Star, one Tenderfoot, two 2nd Class. I enjoy doing the SM Conferences and learn a lot about the boys. But, it was after this round that I realized I should take the time to do conferences once in a while when not required for rank - just to check in with the guys.

I learned during the conferences just how much these guys really do know about Scouting. What they like. What they don't like. What they'd like to do differently. These are very bright boys with a lot of great ideas. What I've seen as being lazy on the part of our Scouts, turns out to be either lack of knowledge or just plain disinterest. Don't our boys learn well and early that if they complain and whine about something long enough, someone else will pitch in and do it for them (ah, usually an adult or older Scout that just wants to get going).

The questions I got from the boys during the conferences will, hopefully, make me a better Scoutmaster and trainer for the older Scouts.

Examples from the conferences:

Why do we have to set up the quonset hut, couldn't we just string a tarp up in the trees?

Wouldn't it be faster if everyone cleaned his own dishes?

Why do we have to learn knots when we never use them?

What's the point in using a compass, can't we just use a GPS?

It sure would be better if the guys doing the cooking have to do the cleanup. Then they wouldn't make such a mess for someone else.

Why do we wait until Sunday to start putting things away. Couldn't we save time and do some of it on Saturday night?

I was the patrol cook on Saturday to get my 1st class requirement and was just supposed to supervise. I kept yelling at the guys to work, but wound up doing it all myself. (Not entirely true, but the yelling part is accurate.) This comment in particular prompted a very nice and long discussion with the Scout on leadership methods.

The most delightful part of these conferences was the transformation of a very nervous Scout, unsure of what to say, to free-flowing conversation about himself, his role in the Troop, what he has learned, and his goals.

Got a couple of emails from the parents of these Scouts saying that the boys were telling them all about their conferences, reading their handbooks out loud in the car on the ride home, and talking about what they were going to do for their next rank. One boy, the boy that left at mid-week from summer camp last summer, the boy that would barely put a toe in the water, the boy that was nervous about doing anything new, was commenting on how he wanted to earn Star by next year.

So, I figure, if the SM Conferences for rank can inspire these boys, I should probably do them throughout the year. I give our boys encouragement during meetings and campouts all the time, but the SM Conference seems to offer more: just a chance to get them talking without interruption, a chance for them to feel they are being heard, give them encouragement one-on-one, a little boost throughout the year.

I have read in these and other forums about doing SM conferences at times other than for rank, but have just not implemented them yet. Now, I think I will. Just another turn in the endless learn curve that is being a Scoutmaster.

Yee-haaaa!!!!! :D

That's mentoring leadership in action!!!! :D

Way to go!!!! :D

I promise, you're going to learn more and be a better SM for doing this work. Thank you for giving to those young men in your Troop!

Any boy that has not advanced for a year, has sufficient partial merit badges that should have finished them and anyone who has been hit or miss with their attendance are all candidates for SM conferences. Some of them are also given a Board of Reviews and a little heart-to-heart with some of the adults does go a long way in resolving why the boys are acting the way they are. Sometimes what is said to BOR people is different than what is expressed to a SM.

As the ASM in charge of advancement, I'm always monitoring the progress of the boys and not only address the issue with them, but will also schedule the SM conference and BOR as needed.

Stosh