Sometimes it seems that you just can't win

Sea Scouting isn't very big in our area.

We are the only Sea Scout Ship in our Council. The Council next to us on one side doesn't have a Sea Scout Ship and it seems the big Metro Council has two Ship's that are not active? Whatever that might mean.

About 3 months back, I was contacted by the father of a Lad who wants to join a Ship.

Hey!! "Come on down" was my answer.

Talking with the Father it turns out that they live in the big Metro Council next door and the plan is to start a Ship that does Sea Scouting in that Council.

I honestly believe that anything that can be done to establish a Sea Scouting presence in our area is a good thing.

I met with the Lad.

He is a really nice 17 year old.

His Scouting resume is just outstanding.

He is an Eagle Scout. He has earned Venturing Silver and along the way done a great deal of courses and Scouting type stuff!!

Within minutes of our first meeting he let me know that his goal was to reach Quartermaster.

I let him know that it wasn't going to be easy and that time wasn't on his side. - But it could be done. He in fact has already met some of the requirements: Safe Boating Courses, First Aid, Lifeguard. All passed by BSA approved outside organizations.

Not long after joining the Lad found out about SEAL Training and said how he would really like to attend.

The course requires that a Scout must be Ordinary Rank by June 21st of the class year.

I sat down and talked with the Lad, telling him that it really would be pushing it!! I mentioned that him living so far away wasn't going to help. I mentioned that his school work and exams shouldn't suffer. I in no way sugar coated it and if anything tried to paint a very dark picture. I ended by telling him that I wasn't willing to cut corners or skip any of the requirements. I was however willing to do everything I could to help prepare him for the course and support him in his goal to earn Quartermaster.

Sadly talking with some other Skippers who have never met the Lad, it seems that they hold his past achievements against him!!

"He is only after the big 3" was one comment.

"He is too old for Seal." was another.

I pointed out that we have a program that is supposed to be there till the Lad turns 21!!

I don't know how other people think? But to my mind we best serve the organization and the Scout when we deal with each and every Scout as an individual.

Our job is about helping him or her meet the goals they set and if we get it right we manage to install the good stuff at the same time.

Ea.

First they are too young, now they are too old. If this young man wants to go for it, then full steam ahead. This is exactly what the recognition programs are for. I hope he makes it and sticks with Scouting or comes back to it after school.

BTW: He does not automagically age out at 21. After his 21st birthday, he has until his 22nd birthday or the unit recharter, whichever comes first. Check the fine print on the inside cover of the youth application.

Uh, we had a young man in our council recently receive his Quartermaster. We haven't had a QM in several years, and he is the first QM Nationally in this 'fiscal year'. He got it before he aged out. He was also working to get both Ranger and Silver, and missed out by about a requirement each. He already had Eagle Scout, went to SEAL last summer, and most summers is on summer camp staff (in another council). He was our outgoing Council Boatswain.

"He does not automagically age out at 21. After his 21st birthday, he has until his 22nd birthday or the unit recharter, whichever comes first. Check the fine print on the inside cover of the youth application."

Not quite. In regards to advancement, yes, they age out at 21. What the above means is the person is still on the unit charter. But anything else that requires they be below 21 (hold office, earn advancement, etc) stops. I believe both Venturing and the OA will not allow someone who will turn 21 during their term of office to run for (as the case may be) Lodge, Section, Region, or National positions. Same for attending the Jamborees.