Eagle Project Workbook

"...a 13 year old should not be expected to perform at the same level as the 17 year old ..."

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment.

The CS motto is "Do Your Best". The BS motto is "Be Prepared", which BP explained as "prepared for any old thing".

Why should we not expect EVERY Eagle candidate to prepare and perform at the [same] Eagle level? Given some of the arguments that have been offered above, it seems that we should expect no less of a 13-year-old's Eagle project than we would of a 17-year-old's. Seems like maybe having a lower standard sends the message that a scout should hurry up and get his Eagle while he's still young.

Maybe expecting a high calibre project and report would encourage boys to get more out of scouting than just seeing how quickly they can make the top rank.

Why should we not expect EVERY Eagle candidate to prepare and perform at the [same] Eagle level? Given some of the arguments that have been offered above, it seems that we should expect no less of a 13-year-old's Eagle project than we would of a 17-year-old's.

There might only be a 4 year age difference but the is a huge difference in maturity & general understanding. The standards shouldn't be lower because of age, they should be age appropriate.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, I respectfully disagree. I understand why we should you age-appropriate guidelines in activities and why we would expect a 13 year old first time SPL to perform different from a 16 year old 3 term SPL. However, I do not believe we alter requirements based on age. If that were the case, we'd take it easier on the 12 year old taking lifesaving than we do the 17 year old in the same class. If a 13 year old wants to be Eagle but doesn't have the maturity to carry out the project at an expected level, then he's simply not ready. Get some leadership experience and come back prepared next year, or the year after...

OK. Maybe I made that as clear as mud.

The standard should be the same regardless of age. How that standard is achieved will be different because of age & should be judged accordingly.

Does that clear up the murkiness?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10