Troop Leadership Training "mandatory" every six months?

>>I see no problem with a Troop having the expectation that the boys will go to training because it is the right thing to do. But if the leaders do not sign off on the requirement and deny them their Star rank (or other rank) because they did not attend a non-mandatory training session then that is wrong.

In theory, I can understand a local requirement to retake TLT if the boy is changing positions and hasn't been trained in his new position.

But those of you who have taught TLT (and I have) will spot the problem here: 95% of the course isn't position-specific. We do go over the various positions, but every boy present hears the presentation of all the positions, so in theory, they've already been trained in every position.

So as I see it, once a boy has attended TLT for *any* position, he's heard everything he needs to hear for *all* positions, meaning he shouldn't be required to retake it!

Otherwise, we'll have a lot of bored boys, and that's exactly what I expect to see under this troop requirement.

Barry:

I am talking about the troop level leadership course, which is now Troop Leadership Training (TLT); Junior Leader Training (JLT) is no longer used.

TLT replaced JLT about a year ago. I never taught JLT, but I assume we would have the same problem if we were still using JLT: most of JLT (like most of TLT) is about leadership in a generic sense. Most of JLT (like most of TLT) does *not* focus on a specific position.

So forcing boys to retake even JLT upon a change in position, presents exactly the same problem I posed.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about my use of terms.

Fred

Yes, I understand. I used to be the Council JLT Chairman and most of the people I communicated with from the National all the way down to troop level use JLT generically for youth leadership training or developement. We used "Troop or unit JLT" as the term for unit level training. National issueing their TLT course seems to have muddled the water a lot. I know of a lot of troops that called their unit level training TLT long before National called did. And the TLT they used is not the TLT or JLT you are refering to. In fact, many of the unit's courses I've seen came from scaled down Brownsea or JLTC courses.

Thanks for the explination. Have a great day.

Barry

Quarterdeck Training is an advancement requirement for Ordinary Rank in Sea Scouting:

"Complete quarterdeck training, either as a petty officer or as a prospective petty officer, as provided and required by your ship and council."

So in our case it is mandatory!!

Sadly there isn't at this time any real BSA resources at hand.

There used to be some material on the National Quartermaster Association web page (http://www.nqma.org/) but the page isn't there any more.

This of course in my book left me with an open field to do what I liked with!!

I think I have enough stuff that would fill several courses.

I did at first think maybe this was a waste of my time!! We only have 8 Sea Scouts who are Petty Officers.All that effort for only 8 Scouts!! Then of course it hit me. My role in all of this is to try and help these 8 Scouts lead the entire Ship and what could be more important.I ended up inviting 16 Scouts to attend 13 did. In part I invited the extras because we were hiring a building for the weekend and it brought the cost down! That and as its required we had a few that needed it, after all every Scout is "a prospective petty officer"

At this time the Ship elects their officers to serve for a 12 month term, so I don't see us doing it every six months.

Eamonn