how do you approach "Scout Spirit?"

This is one of those intangibles yet obviously one of the most important things we could hope the scouts develop as a result of the program.

I'm curious about how you approach this? Do the boys in your troop have a good idea about what they should be doing if they want you to sign off on this for rank advancement? If so, what do you do to communicate those expectations to them, in addition to leading by example of course?

Boys being, well, boys instead of adults, they're bound to have some un-scoutlike moments along the way. How far do you go with these "moments" in terms of declining to sign off for rank advancement? I'm not talking about cases of really egregiously bad behavior, I'm talking about the occasional flash of attitude, sulking, unkind language toward another scout (often well-earned by the recipient, but still...), and the like.

Also does anybody actively solicit input from teachers/parents/church leaders etc. as part of evaluating a scout's spirit, other than in letters of rec. for Eagle? If parent says, "well Johnny has been an absolute nightmare lately at home" but you've only seen his good side at troop activities, would you consider not signing off on the spirit requirement for advancement?

These are not related to any specific situation - I'm just curious as someone fairly new to the boy scout side of things. Thanks.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!

Such discussions usually revolve around the assumption that Scout Spirit should be evaluated by the adults. I take the opposite approach, using the requirement as an opportunity for the Scout to recognize the Scouting ideals already reflected in his own behavior.

For advancement, each Scout fills out a "Scout Spirit Scavenger Hunt" and brings it to our Scoutmaster Conference. Basically it is a work sheet with the definition of each of the BSA Scout Laws, and space for the Scout to write an example of his own behavior. For instance:

1. A Scout tells the truth. He is honest, and he keeps his promises. People can depend on him.

I was TRUSTWORTHY when I______________________________________________________

See:

http://www.inquiry.net/ideals/spirit

A discussion of the process can be found at:

http://www.kudu.net/ideals/spirit/directions.htm

Baden-Powell's practice was for the Scoutmaster to discuss with a candidate for the Second Class and First Class Awards, his understanding of Scout Law. This is Scouting as a game that uses indirect methods to reach its Aim.

I save the completed Scavenger Hunts for the next Court of Honor, when we pick out the best written response to each to the Scout Laws. That Scout lights the candle representing that particular Scout Law in the candle-lighting ceremony opening, and explains to the audience in one sentence how his behavior reflects that Scout Law. This is much better than having Scouts read or memorize some definition of the Scout Laws.

I prefer examples from campouts, which serve as a public relations reminder to the parents that time spent camping is an important investment in character-building.

See our COH Scout Spirit Candle Ceremony script at:

http://www.inquiry.net/advancement/ceremonies/candlelight.htm

Kudu

During SM conferences, I always ask a scout how he lives by the Scout Oath and Law. Sometimes I get good answers, often not. I try to help them understand how they do, by pointing out things I've seen.

I used the Scout Law Scavenger Hunt this past Summer Camp. It was a great game for the boys. We got some really good answers back. On Friday, at Parent's night, I recognized the scout that gave the best examples of how he lived by the Law during the week.

Lisa, I don't hold a scout back for normal "youthful discretions", but I will hold a boy back if he routinely demonstrates willful breaking of the oath or law. Usually this is with a lad that shows tremendous disrespect to adults or peers. Fighting, bad language or bad sportsmanship can also cause me to hold him back. When I do hold a scout back, I give him clear understanding of the things he is doing that I see as wrong. Often, I've found the scout doesn't have a clue. Usually because parent's are disciplining him at home at the same level we expect on a scout outing.

There have been a number of comments around the forums recently discussing the attendance as a measure of Scout Spirit . Certainly being an active member of ones patrol and troop gives opportunities to demonstrate spirit. But beyond that one hour a week there are far more opportunities. Does anyone suppose there is a preference to using attendance as a measure of Scout Spirit because that is the only time the Scoutmaster has an opportunity to observe spirit? How important are the observations of the SM towards determining whether a boy has demonstrated Scout spirit in his daily life?

The boy is given several definitions of Scout spirit in his Boy Scout Handbook. Though some may call me a book-thumper, there really is a tidbit or two of value in the Handbook. Some of what Scouts are taught about Scout spirit are found in the rank requirements sections of the Handbook:

In the Tenderfoot section of the Handbook: Scout spirit refers to the effort you make to live up to the ideals of Scouting. The Oath, Law, motto, and slogan serve as everyday guidelines for a good life.

In the Second Class section: Most requirements for Scout ranks can be measured by other people. How well you live the Scout Oath and Scout Law in your life is something for you to judge. You alone know how you act when no one is around to witness what you do. Do the best you can to live each day by the Scout Oath and Law.

In the First Class section: At troop and patrol gatherings you've recited the Scout Oath and the Scout Law dozens of times. The words come easily to you, but do you know what those words mean? The Scout Oath and Scout Law are not just to be obeyed while you are wearing a uniform. The spirit of Scouting that they represent is every bit as important when you are at home, at school, and in your community.

In the Star, Life, and Eagle section: Your standing as a Scout does not depend so much on the skills of your hands or the badges on your merit badge sash, as on the spirit in your heart - on what you are willing to do for others, on whether you are doing your very best to live the Scout Oath and Law. Living by these high standards is always a personal choice and something only you can fully measure. But by now, many other people should be seeing qualities in you that make it clear you are choosing wisely.

After reading what the boys handbook has to say, attendance requirements seem to have very little to do with Scout spirit.

Fscouter,

I have to respectfully disagree; I think attendance at patrol/troop meetings and campouts is a component of scout spirit. Not the only component, but part of the whole.

A scout's participation with his patrol/troop is a visible indicator of Loyalty to his patrol/troop members. A scout isn't being helpful to scouts in his troop if he is not participating.

I once had the mother of a scout argue with me that her son was demonstrating trustworthy, loyal, helpful, etc. at the theater group he was involved with, and that should be sufficient to be approved for advancement in scouts. This was for a lad who frequently missed meetings and campouts. When he did attend, he was anything but helpful, or cheerful, etc., it was obvious that he was in it for his own advancement, and had no interest or concern for the other scouts in the troop. He was there for the advancement, which both he and his family viewed as getting the right number of MB's. He demonstrated lack of scout spirit by many things, including poor attendance.

Keeping in mind that our aim is to develop character, citizenship, and fitness, and all methods, including advancement, are to support that, then each unit needs to evaluate if they can effectively aid in development of character/citizenship/fitness. We do want and expect scouts to take what they learn in scouts and participate as leaders in other areas of the community; band, student council, sports, etc. They may demonstrate scout spirit elsewhere; but if there is a corresponding lack of scout spirit demonstrated to his own patrol/troop, I don't see what is to be gained by handing out an award anyway - to do so I think it hurts both the scout and the troop.