X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time Scoutmaster Minute

I had the chance last meeting to serve as the Troop SM While our SM was away. I took advantage of my chance and had a SM Minute, something that's not done in our Troop sadly. Anyway, I had found a great little story about Service, and told the story. Afterwards I saw that there were a few boys who had cried after my minute. I was a bit surprised, and touched by this..

The best SM minutes are the ones that get the boys to thinking. The crying is a good sign it means you got them to thinking.

Comment

I can only agree.. Seems that several got it, and hopefully it made an impact..

Comment

Can you post it, or a link to it here.

As a CubMaster, there are very, very few CM minutes, so I have to adapt alot of SM minutes to the cubs age level.

Comment

This is "The Beggar Man" page 45 of the book, The Scouter's Companion. written by Ivan Turgenev,
          Novelist and Playwright.

I was passing along the street when a beggar, a decrepit old man, stopped me.

Swollen, tearful eyes, blue lips, bristling rags, unclean sores.... Oh, how horribly had poverty gnawed that unhappy being!

He stretched out to me a red, bloated, dirty hand.... He moaned, he bellowed for help.

I began to rummage in all my pockets.... Neither purse, nor watch, nor even handkerchief did I find.... I had taken nothing with me.

And the beggar still waited ... and extended his hand, which swayed and trembled feebly.

Bewildered, confused, I shook that dirty, tremulous hand heartily....

"Blame me not, brother; I have nothing, brother."

The beggar man fixed his swollen eyes upon me; his blue lips smiled--and in his turn he pressed my cold fingers.

"Never mind, brother," he mumbled. "Thanks for this also, brother.--This also is an alms, brother."

I understood that I had received an alms from my brother.

Comment

Working...
          X