X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult Nomination Question.

I am a relatively new Scoutmaster and a very new Ordeal Member so this may seem like a silly question. I have two Assistant Scoutmasters that I think would make good candidates for membership. I was given a nomination form to fill out for them and I am having a hard time answering the questions about abilities. As I understand it the main function of Adults is to drive and faclilitate and stay out of the Youth leaders way. What abilities are needed for adults to "perform the necessary functions"? What skills and abilities "fulfill the purpose of the Order of the Arrow"

In our lodge they love tradesmen. Carpenters, masons, electricians, plumbers, heavy equipment owner operators......Free labor on the camps.

Other than that if you can drive the boys to events your good.

Comment

First off, congratulations on electing six Scouts to OA that allows you to nominate two Scouters. That's a lot of Scouts to send to OA. Well done!

For me OA has always been about upholding the ideals of Scouting and camping. As a Scout we used to only nominate those who were the elite campers of our troop. Back then it was a select few who got nominated. Now, like Eagle, it seems we hand this out to anyone. Personally, I would only send someone who met all the requirements (this is required by OA) AND those Scouters who demonstrated exceptional outdoorsmanship and camping. I would not send a Scouter who does not camp that often or who has less-than-decent camping skills.

My two cents.

Comment

Honestly, every single scoutmaster and ASM in our district has the lodge flap on their uniform. Whether they are active and paying dues or not.

Far as it still being the Honor society of scouting??? Every senior scout I have met seems to be a member......

so what exactly is exceptional outdoorsmanship or camping????

Comment

the primary purpose at least around here is solely free labor from both the scouts and scouters. as a scouter you also would be valued for your ability to drive, be over 18 ---> legally able to use more powetools and such, and of course donate your trade skills. electricians, roofers, cooks, carpenters etc. OA isnt about being an honor society or a sign of a competent outdoorsman. camping will likely be no more difficult than first year cub car camping.

Comment

Just an aside ... it would only take 4 youth elected (not 6).
            BDPT00

Comment

• Krampus
              Krampus commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm, our OA reps are telling us 1 adult for every three Scouts elected (unless one adult is the SM and he is not a member). I guess they are rounding up then if not a multiple of three?

• BDPT00
              BDPT00 commented
              Editing a comment
              As usual, if one youth is elected, your unit can nominate anB adult. If three more youth are elected, you can nominate another.
              BDPT00

• Krampus
              Krampus commented
              Editing a comment
              Talked to our rep. He confirmed it is rounded up to multiples of three. So if 5 scouts you can send 2 adults + SM. If 10 scouts you can send 4 + SM.

i'm not a OA member, and i do not qualify (only been with troop for last 7 months or so, with 8 nights of camping). but.. i think lot of things that's going on around my area are missing large chunk of outdoors skills. simple things such as starting fire without match or lighter. or keeping yourself warm if you are stranded. basic skills if you get sperated from the main group on a long backpacking trip. 15 days of camping is fine and good. i know it's hard to squeeze all that in 2 yr for some people. but, at least more scouts need to know how to start fire and set up signs for rescue if they are sperated. setting simple trap and catching frogs and how to prep them if they are in for a long haul is plus. why isn't "scouting" being part of scouting any more? and no one carries 100 feet of cords any more. it's not that heavy and they come in very handy if you are stranded.

Comment

IN reality, if you submit a nomination with words written on it, it will be accepted. Labor skills are a plus, but I would consider things such as are outlined in the Obligation. How well do they "play with others", and set a good example for an Arrowman? It is the "Brotherhood of Cheerful Service"...how well do they exemplify that?

Comment

The most important thing is that the candidate sets a good example .

I was a chapter advisor for 8 years and the skills section had no bearing on aproving selection.

I did appreciate the section being filled out though. I used the information for recruiting adults for
                specific events.

If we were doing a service project that would use carpentry skills it was nice to be able to be able
                to target people with those skills rather than blindly asking for help.

Sometimes the chapter would put on merit badge clinics for district and it helped to know if person
                was a councilor or was in a proffesion that fit or had this as an interest.

Comment

Hey everyone,

question for those in the know. Can the district nominate scouters for the OA? If so, I was wondering if camping requirements can be waived? I have seen conflicting reports.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoutWolf
                    Hey everyone, question for those in the know. Can the district nominate scouters for the OA? If so, I was wondering if camping requirements can be waived? I have seen conflicting reports.
                    The answer to your question can be found at http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/pubs/GOA-2012.pdf on page 21. To paraphrase, the district chairman can nominate scouters ***whose primary registration is with the district*** to the lodge nomination committee and the camping requirement may be waived. If a scouter has their primary registration with a unit, this procedure may not be used for them.

Comment

Now that is funny...

An organization of Honor Campers where you don't actually have to camp to be a member....

Talk about losing credibility.

Comment

• DLister
                        DLister commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The ability to waive the camping requirement for non-unit Scouters has been in place for at least the last 20 years. This is just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is allowed so district and council Scouters who might not have the opportunity/ability to attend a long-term camp but would still be an asset to the OA can be inducted. I understand the same argument could be make for some unit-level Scouters, but I don't make the rules and haven't found a place that the intentions behind them are explained.

• Basementdweller
                        Basementdweller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So why aren't the district and council scrouters attending long term camps?

Dlister,

Are you sure about the district members and camping requirement being waived? I don't recall that and we never nominated someone form the district unless they met the camping requirements.

Yep I know that OA is considered free labor in some councils. But think about it, if it wasn't for OA lodges, a lot of camp maintenance infrastructure would have to be paid for, increasing the cost of going to camp. A few years back, I did a comparison of our summer camp and other local camps, and we were the cheapest by a lot. And I say that the OA is the reason for keepign the costs down.

Now CSDC we are the second cheapest, but only b/c of a federal grant that pays for all expenses.

As been repeatedly said, all scouting is local. Every lodge is different. I've been in lodges where the W.W.W. really meant Work, Work, Work, and I've been in lodges that had a balance.

In relation to outdoor skills, unfortunately I've seen the same deterioration, and I blame it on the BSA's current emphasis on FCFY and not on mastery of skills as in the past. Also the current BSHB is woefully inadequate when it comes to outdoor skill. I had to make my own pamphlet for IOLS b/c the info was not there. Besides 15 days and nites of camping, including 1 long term is easily doable in a year. using my troop's calendar, 2 days and nites(Fri-Sun) times 10 months + 1 six day and nite summer camp (Sun - Sat) = 26 days and nites.

Now the comment abut OA being a little more difficult gets a laff from me. I'm a "blue looper" now, and I was told at one OA event that "Cubs don't need to camp," and " Cub families dont' know how to camp, they pack everything in their cars and expect to drive up to the campsite and drop it off." Then at a camp event a month or so later, the same people drive up to where they are going to be at, and proceed to unpack their SUVs. While me the "Blue Looper" has parked my car in the main lot, and proceed to hike in with everything in my backpack for the event

Comment

• DLister
                        DLister commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am 100% positive about the ability of the camping requirement to be waived by the lodge adviser and council executive for district and council scouters. See page 21 of the Guide to Officers and Advisers, available at http://www.oa-bsa.org/resources/pubs/#goa.

Base,

I cannot answer that question for all district folks, but I that when I was not in a unit, and a few others I know too, I was so much behind the scenes on district/council events, that I couldn't justify to the wife going to summer camp without having kids in the program.

Now that the wife has stated "YOU WILL BE GOING TO SUMMER CAMP WITH YOUR BOYS" ( camps for theSWMBO tone of voice, not shouting at ya), I cannot wait for next year! I am already practicing "Have you asked your patrol leader?"

Comment

Working...
                      X