Use of checklists . . .

At last night's troop meeting, I overheard a heated debate between a parent and her scout, and a committee member, regarding the checklists that are printed in the scout handbook. There are a number of checklists throughout the handbook, but the discussion was focused on the checklists in the back of the handbook that list the requirements of the next rank. On the right is a line for the initials and on the left is a small box for checking off the requirements as they are met. Who initials-off and who checks-off these requirements?

One party maintained that the SM does both, the second party contends that the SM initials, but the scout checks of the box as he completes the requirement. Initially, I would agree with the second party, but we are new to scouting, and I would like to verify this before I open my big mouth . . .

Can anyone here set me straight?

Thanks

Bob H

Troop 908

Southern Maryland

The Scoutmaster and his designees sign and date on the right. The check box on the left is of little significance. The Handbook has lots of lists throughout with little check boxes. For instance, the merit badge pages all have a little box next to each one. The boy that is neat and organized may choose to check off the ones he has completed. I think they are there for the boy to check off for himself.

You characterize the discussion as 'heated'. I don't know if anyone else sees this, but I see a big fat RED FLAG popping up! Who gets into 'heated' discussions about a meaningless checkbox? People with way too much time on their hands, that's who.

MajBob... I recommend you keep your mouth shut and ignore the trivial silliness these people are in heated discussions about...

In our troop, scouts are encouraged to:

1. check the box on the left and put the date by it when they complete the requirement if it can not be immediately signed off.

2. have SM or designee initial and LEGIBLY date on the right. Having a legible date is important for record keeping.

3. Use the record keeping aids throughout the book to track campouts attended, service hours earned, merit badges completed, ... that are all difficult to remember months after they happen.

Scout On,

Paul

I consider the scout's handbook as their "official" source. If they complete something, they can have me (SM), an ASM, or an approved leader sign it. Approved leaders include SPL and Troop Guide, but also include others as appropriate.

I keep records in Troopmaster, but sometimes they get out of date. I print off a summary and give it to the troop committee/parents every month. I also provide a detail printout to each scout about a month before each COH. This gives them a chance to clear up any discrepencies.

Our troop considers the large box on the right the area for signoff. We don't have an official policy regarding the checkbox, but I will share one use we found recently. We usually conduct a troop review of the lower rank advancement covered at summer camp. We confirm the skill(s) was learned before updating their handbooks. We used the checkbox to mark the requirements covered at camp so the boys and their families can better prepare for the reviews.