In our council, we have to register every year with a seperate membership application with the council office. They have a commmittee that approves/disapproves the MB counselor. Our district does have a council wide list, but one that you can opt out of if you want. Do other councils require yearly registration/membership apps and place approval at this level?

Our council only requires it if you are otherwise not registered as a scouter. So, if you are a registered committee member of the troop, you don't have to go through the annual paperwork process. My wife, who counsels a few MBs for us, is not a registered scouter, so she has to do it.

Thank you to all - great ideas.

In response to the reregistering question - Once you are registered with the council you are registered - period. At the recharter time, it should be the Adv. Committees job to ensure everyone is up to date. Not an easy task I am sure - but fairly easy since MB Counselors are not required to pay the registraion fee. They should be approved by the District Adv. committee, the DE, and then the Council Adv. committee - if following the proper chain of command, however, I know our Council basicly rubber stamps any application unless something pops up during the background check.

In regards to the shared MB list with other troops, has anyone ever tried holding a RT meeting dedicated to just making a prospect list of both registered Scouters and members of the community (ie. the local art teacher for potery MB - lame example I know)? If you have- has it worked? I see this as a much more manageable way to build the list - that way it isnt up to one person. Much the same way my district does a "Manpower Conference" at a Dist. Committee Meeting. This could at least be used as an "unofficial" MB list. That way if you have a Scout(s) interested in a particular badge, the SM, CC or Dist. Adv. Comm. Member can approach the person, ask, get the app. and get it done.

What do you think???