Space Exploration Merit Badge

My den just finished up their Webelos-I year with an outing to launch the model rockets that they had built at an earlier den meeting as part of the Scientist Activity Badge. An older brother of one of my guys used the opportunity to also build and launch a rocket as part of his Space Exploration Merit Badge. Since my guys were so enthusiastic about the rockets, I got curious as to what lay ahead for them in that area in Boy Scouts (7 out of 7 are making the Webelos-I to Webelos-II transition, so I'm hoping a good number of them later will be moving on to Boy Scouts).

Anyways, the "rocket launching" requirement for the merit badge says "Build, launch, and recover a model rocket. Make a second launch to accomplish a specific objective.". About that second launch, what sort of "specific objectives" have people used? Any ideas?

I have seen several boys take the objectives like:

1 - launch to an estimated elevation of X feet

2 - Try to land with a certain circle

3 - Hold a second successful flight (in other words be ready for a 3rd flight)

Since skills vary among scouts, the requirement is vague so it can be a stretch for each of the scouts.

...get off of the launch pad :)...

We did the whole rocket launch/ Space Explo thing as a troop. A local model rocketry club essentially sponsored the whole thing for us. We got to see some massive projectiles go into orbit after our little Estes dingies (all provided free of charge by the club) were shot off. Club members came to several troop meetings to explain rocket science to the boys and help with the models. It really was a highlight that year. Next time, try hooking up with a local rocket club - they can be very helpful and really know their stuff, plus I think they had about 6 launch pads set up for use. Those folks will bend over backwards to snag a new convert to model rocketry.

I have 5 boys who have done Space Exploration at Merit Badge College. In all cases the counselor is the one that set the objective requirement.

Be aware that when you move to Boy Scouts the boys MUST have a merit badge counselor in order to work on badges.

Had a mother came into our meeting Monday night and handed the SM a stack of papers where her son had "earned merit badges" he has been in about 2 months and had three badges. Well guess what. He had never ask for or received a Blue Card.

She said she didn't know he had to have one before starting a badge. The SM reminded her of her parents packet she had received when her son crossed over. In it is lays out exactly what is needed to work on badges. And to be honest knowing this mom I have doubts that her son did much of the work himself. I had already told the SM about her and like he said. "In this troop the parents DO NOT DO THE WORK".