A Webelos II who won't earn his Arrow of Light...

I have a boy in my group that started of as a Bear. I say his mother twice. When she signed him up and when I went by to talk to her. She is obviously a drug addict. Dad is in prison. This kid is a great kid. I pick him up for every activity we have. We have arranged for a sponsor for him so expenses are covered. He earned Super Achiever as a Web. We worked on Arrow of Light as a den. Because that is how we did it. Parents are much less involved with Webs than with Wolves and Bears. Because they are heading for Boy Scouts. We have been in the troop for almost two years now and he misses few activities. Do his parents ever help. NO. But of every boy in out troop he needs scouting more than the others. It is the only positive influence in his life.

When we need permission slips he takes it in when I drop him off after scouts. He gets his mother or aunt to sign it and brings it back out to the car to me.

The boy you have needs scouting. Don't worry about the parents. Give him all you can. When I was growing up there was a girl in my GS troop that my parents just took care of. She ended up being one of the 8 girls that got to go to National Round up in 64. She worked so hard. But I don't ever remember her parents ever coming to even an awards banquet. She is now a Dr. specializing in kids with learning disabilities. She is also still involved with scouting. Her own kids are like mine. Grown and gone from home. But guess what both her son and daughter work with scouting. Help this boy build a good scouting background.

Piedmont,

It sounds like you've done everything you can to help your Scouts succeed. Cub Scouting is run by the adults for the benefit of the Scouts. It's very hard for a Cub Scout to be successful without the support of their parents. So, not your fault. There's only so much you can do.

It's especially bothersome when it's 1 Scout out of a group. I would sit down with the Scout and the parents and explain the situation. I'd make sure he understands that he can still move on to Boy Scouts and encourage him to do so. If you can figure out a way to politely word it, you might make the point that he did his best and that's all anyone expects, while figuring out a way to let the parents know that his not getting the AOL is more their fault than his. At our bridging ceremony, we've always isolate the AOL presentation from the bridging ceremony, just to make sure that the non-AOL Scouts don't feel "left out" of the ceremony in any way.

Lastly, remember that Arrow of Light is to Cub Scouting as Eagle is to Boy Scouting. It's the highest award and not everyone is able to get it. Yes, most probably do, but I think it's still better to treat this as a special award, and not something that everyone expects to get. As someone else already noted, the program is more about "the journey" than it is about "the destination". Sometimes that's forgotten.

Get some rest; sounds like you're doing as much as anyone could expect to help your Scouts succeed.

Yup- dealt with this one a couple times.

And the answer is... NO AOL. The AOL is the only thing that really goes with the Scout to Boy Scouts. The second year of Webelos is geared to getting the Scout ready for Boy Scouts.

If you "Fudge" on an activity pin what are you teaching the Scout?

When he gets to his BOR for Tenderfoot is his expectation going to be that the leader will give him a bye?

I know you are having a hard time with the Parents and it is extremely tough to take it out on the Scout, but I will tell you that you will deal with it now...or you will deal with it later... your choice.

I am dealing with it now as a Scoutmaster- got a new Scout that has his AOL, can not even tell me the Scout Oath without help. How in the world does that happen? In the interest of not upsetting the apple cart the boys just move along...then one day they hit the wall of reality and it all comes tumbeling down on them.

I don't want to sound hard nosed, but what life lesson are we trying to teach the Scouts? The very first AIM of Scouting is to build character.

"The purpose of the advancement program is to spur a Scout to learn, achieve, and to mature. That it does this so consistantly make it another important method that reinforces the Scouting aims." (Scoutmaster Handbook)

I think that if you "Fudge" you fail the Scout. I know its a tough call, but its one you have to make...sooner or later.

Good luck to you.

Jerry(This message has been edited by schleining)(This message has been edited by schleining)

Schleining,

>>I am dealing with it now as a Scoutmaster- got a new Scout that has his AOL, can not even tell me the Scout Oath without help. How in the world does that happen?

Because they're 11! :-)

I fully expect that we have to review those things with them, but we do it in the context of other activities so it gets drilled into them by the time they're asking to get things checked off for Scout rank.

I have one boy in my troop that was like this.

Mom is a druggie. Dad and Stepdad are both in prison. He lives with grandparents and a mentally challenged aunt. They don't care what he does as long as he is out of their way. I got him as a Bear when his teacher came to me to see if we could get him in scouts. It took me over a month to run his mother down and have her sign the paperwork. He is such a great kid and loves scouting. He is now 2nd class. But he did earn AOL. But it took a lot of work on my part. THere is no support at home at all. But he is so proud of his advancements. Of course no one ever comes to COH or anything else. All through Cubs we just made sure someone covered his expenses. Now in the troop things cost more. I am talking to a local business man next week about sponsoring him. He had told me before that if I ever had a boy that simply did not have any money that he wanted to help.

For activities I go by the house and get permission slips signed. Even though I know it isn't really right I will try to get two or three signed at one time. Because they are always dropping him off and not leaving the forms. Hopefully we will continue to have a positive influence on him and the cycle of drugs and jail will be broken. I sure hope so.

NAH....not buying the "because they are 11"

Now I will buy the circumstances beyond the boys control, druggie mom etc, but by and large an 11 year boy can remember the Scout oath and law. As a Webelos Scout they should be learning the Oath, Law, and Outdoor code for two years before crossing over to the Troop.

My personal take is that they are not being taught.

You know this brings up a good sub topic and that is:

I am amazed at how much an 11 year old CAN DO when given the chance.

My Troop suprizes my every week with the amount of responsibilty they want and take. How much they grow and develop, how when given a task and a good set of instructions and some adult leaders that care and can teach, coach, train, and mentor, the boys see, to have no boundries.

And I know that I am not the only Scout leader that feels so proud of these boys.

You know, it can all be measured and at some point accountability can be traced.

A Scout that comes to a Boy Scout Troop after 2 years (or a year and a half)as a Webelos Scout should know the Oath, Law, Motto, Outdoor code,and Slogan when they walk in the door (nerves aside).

I geuss the question was how did he get his AOL if he did not know this stuff. Last time I checked it is still a requirement to get the AOL.

Jerry