Learning analysis for 2005 Cit in Nation

Because I work with Scouts in my unit, within my District and in local MB colleges, I have an array of support materials for Citizenship in the Nation.

Alas, many of them are OBE (overcome by events) with the 2005 requirements changes.

So... I did a learning analysis. Without adding to or taking from, how do I get an 11,12,13,14,15,16,or 17 year old get something from an "academic" MB:

Below are my thoughts:

~~~~~

1. Explain what citizenship in the nation means and what it takes to be a good citizen of this country. Discuss the rights, duties, and obligations of a responsible and active American citizen.

JOHN: Discussion in both seminar and small group modes. Short version is voting, paying taxes, staying informed, military service, government service, communicating with representatives.

~~~~~

2.Do TWO of the following:

a. Visit a place that is listed as a National Historic Landmark or that is on the National Register of Historic Places. Tell your counselor what you learned about the landmark or site and what you found interesting about it.

b. Tour your state capitol building or the U.S. Capitol. Tell your counselor what you learned about the capitol, its function, and the history.

c. Tour a federal facility. Explain to your counselor what you saw there and what you learned about its function in the local community and how it serves this nation.

d. Choose a national monument that interests you. Using books, brochures, the Internet (with your parent's permission), and other resources, find out more about the monument. Tell your counselor what you learned, and explain why the monument is important to this country's citizens.

JOHN:

(1) Seminar mode: This must be a prerequisite. My personal thought is counselors should encourage A-C, with (in Kansas City area) Jeff City, Topeka, Fort Leavenworth, Fort Riley, Abilene: Eisenhower Center, 18th and Vine Jazz District, and Truman Library all in day trip proximity. In isolated areas (family members of Soldiers stationed in Europe for example), D becomes more important.

(2) Small group mode: Show and tell.

~~~~~

3. Watch the national evening news five days in a row OR read the front page of a major daily newspaper five days in a row. Discuss the national issues you learned about with your counselor. Choose one of the issues and explain how it affects you and your family.

JOHN:

(1) Seminar mode: This must be a prerequisite. We will have to set a time frame probably the two weeks before the seminar. Discuss is a write out item.

(2) Small Group mode: Set a date for Scouts to do this, then Scouts come back to counselor.

~~~~~

4. Discuss each of the following documents with your counselor. Tell your counselor how you feel life in the United States might be different without each one.

a. Declaration of Independence

b. Preamble to the Constitution

c. The Constitution

d. Bill of Rights

e. Amendments to the Constitution

JOHN: Seminar and small group modes: Do with Scouts. This requirement changes the emphasis FROM how the Foundations of Freedom work TO what they do for Americans.

~~~~~

5.List the six functions of government as noted in the preamble to the Constitution. Discuss with your counselor how these functions affect your family and local community.

JOHN: Seminar and small group modes: This is a new requirement. Allows discussion of what the Federal Government DOES:

- Form a more perfect union (commerce clause, relationship of Fed/states,

- Establish Justice (Judiciary, Dept of Justice)

- Ensure Domestic tranquility (Homeland security)

- Provide for the Common Defense (DOD, Armed Forces, National Guard)

- Promote the General Welfare (HHS, Trans, Ag, Commerce)

- Secure the blessings of Liberty (Courts, Rights under Constitution)

~~~~~

6.With your counselor's approval, choose a speech of national historical importance. Find out about the author, and tell your counselor about the person who gave the speech. Explain the importance of the speech at the time it was given, and tell how it applies to American citizens today. Choose a sentence or two from the speech that has significant meaning to you, and tell your counselor why.

JOHN: Seminar mode: Counselor needs some control over the material the Scouts will use, since he/she meets them for the first time at the seminar. Seven below are worthy

- Kennedys Inagural http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/presiden/inaug/kennedy.htm

- Gettysburg Address http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/gettyb.htm

- Martin Luther King I have a dream http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/treatise/king/mlk01.htm

- Declaration of WWII http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1647.html

- FDR first Inagural http://www.hpol.org/transcript.php?id=2

- MacArthurs farewell to West Point http://www.nationalcenter.org/MacArthurFarewell.html

- Washingtons Farewell http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/washing.htm

Small Group mode: While this list as a start point, Scouts can research a speech and get counselors OK.

~~~~~

7. Name the three branches of our federal government and explain to your counselor their functions. Explain how citizens are involved in each branch. For each branch of government, explain the importance of the system of checks and balances.

John:

Seminar mode: Basic Constitution (with the housekeeping amendments) and the Scholastic Rock video Im Just a Bill are good starting points. As a prerequisite, though, students have to READ and BRING a copy of the Constitution to seminar. White board is a useful tool in mapping the constitutional functions of the three branches.

Small group mode: In first discussion, Scouts get told to read the constitution. Use the video in a group session.

~~~~~

8. Name your two senators and the member of Congress from your congressional district. Write a letter about a national issue and send it to one of these elected officials, sharing your view with him or her. Show your letter and any response you receive to your counselor.

John: Seminar and Small group modes: No change here, other than this requirement is now last in order. For seminar mode, this is a pre-requisite.

Hope this helps someone out there.

YIS

I think the analysis is great.

I can't help by being bother by the analysis of #5 however. I must admit that I haven't read through the new copy of the merit badge book to see how it explains the requirments.

However, I think your analysis focuses too much on the realm of the Federal government. The functions mentioned in the preamble were not really the key responsibilites, just a statement of the goals of the union. These goals were in a large part accomplished by the states as they are today.

The Justice Department "establishes justice" just as much do state police and judical authoritys. The Dept. of Homeland Security isn't the key to domestic tranquility, it did not exist until a couple of years ago. And God save us all if the courts are the only protector of our rights. The real protector is independant legislatures, our armed citizenry, and State governments to interpose themselves between the Federal government and its citizens.

This probably doesn't belong on the thread. But I am a little scared of the lack of any talk of Federalsim or of the States which make up our union. They are as important if not more than the Federal government.

Thanks.

From the old requirements, when youth had to work their way THROUGH the strands of our Constitution, taking folks through the interrelationship of state and Federal government was part of the discussion.

You may have hit a place where I can fit that in within the new context.

Thank you :)