So, if your kid's pack or troop doesn't have a structure for the boys to earn the religious awards, how can you get it done w/o upsetting the pack/troop leadership? Can any pastor or minister walk the boy(s) through the program whether they are associated with scouting or not? Would there be any cost or payments involved?

The religious award programs are not a pack or troop activity. The role of the units is to encourage the youth to earn the award and recognize them when the do. Many units give the knot for the award to the youth as the place to receive the award is at the youths church, synagogue or whatever.

The youths religious leader should work with the youth or appoint someone to lead the youth through the program under his supervision.

If a youth wants to earn the award, his parents should pick up the correct workbook (most available at the scout shop) and then talk with your religious leader about it. Many individual Scouters organize classes at their own religious group so that many boys can earn their award. The God and Country (God and Me, Family, Church, and Life) awards are used by many protestant churches and the classes may have children of different denominations or even belonging to none. When I lead the course, the youth (including girls)when done are approved for the award by their pastor and those have no church home, my pastor will work with them and aprove their award.

There are costs for the materials and the medals.

A good site to check is www.praypub.org.