Using BOR to encourage scouts who are not advancing

I mentioned in another post that I have two scouts that have still not completed First Class from last year. There's really no excuse, other than they just don't seem to be motivated to do the work. 6 of 9 First Year scouts had their FC rank by the beginning of Summer, I consider them all to be "FC/FY" scouts. One of the remaining 3 just completed his. Only these two remain.

I've seen it mentioned on these boards and in BSA literature that BORs can also be used to check on the advancement status of other scouts. Our young troop has not done this before. I believe this is an opportunity for our troop to do just that.

My question is whether any of you have experience using the BOR for this purpose? What types of questions do you ask? Are they successful in encouraging the scout to advance?

I'm just looking for some words of wisdom from this illustrious group.

Great Topic! To me the number one priority would be to be sure the scout sees this BOR as concern being expresed by the Troop's adults, not anger and that attending the BOR is seen as help being extended, not as punishment or a brow beating. And since every scout is different, I leave that to you to tailor to the scout.

The next step is to outline the reason for the BOR, go over the history of why the scout sits before you. Ask him what activities he likes, what he doesn't, what he wants to do more of. Ask him how can the adults in the troop assist him in his own advancement. This could be tricky because you dont want to be seen as taking the responsibility of advancement away from the scout, but also make sure he realizes there is support and resources in the troop that he might not realize exist for his advancement. See if you can map out a plan for him to reach a goal. First class by Christmas or something like that. Show him how it can be done, what events to attend, what requirements/skills need to be met/demonstrated that sort of thing. Who can teach him the skills, who can sign them off, scout or adult.

When he leaves the BOR he should have a firm plan in mind how he will acoomplish the goals and realize how much support he has to reach it, but that he has to be the one to get things done(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Yes, Great topic and a great reply OGE.

I was unaware that you could hold a BOR for a non-advancing scout. "Sounds like I need some training" Being Advancment Chair for the troop I take it personally if the scouts aren't advancing.

How would one go about calling these 'underachievers' to appear before the board? Presently we only hold BOR's for advancing scouts after they have had their SM conference.

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I see too many scouts slip between the cracks because the troop does not hold these "encouragement" BORs. I'm planning to suggest that we hold BORs once a month, with every scout scheduled for a BOR twice a year. If a scout needs a BOR for advancement, they go first that month and drop back six months in the rotation. Comments?

OGE - Great advice. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Spiney - I'm not sure how best to handle the "invitation". I'd like to hear that from others.

Cubs - I think I'm in agreement with you. I like the idea of scheduling a scout to come every six months. Then, the "invitation" process is simple. "Hey Johnnie, it's been six months since you made 1st Class, the BOR would like to talk with you for a few minutes to see how things are going and if you need anything from us to help you make it to Star". I could see this working very effectively. For example, Johnny gets his 1st Class in May. The Advancement Chair pencils his name in for November. If he hasn't appeared for his Star BOR by then, he meets with them. If he completed his Star BOR in October, you would pencil him in for April. And so on. Is that what you had in mind?