Position of Responsibility Question

The positions listed as Positions of Responsibility in which a youth must serve to advance lists Patrol Leader in a troop but does not list Coxswain or Crew Leader in a ship. Our Ship's Crew Leaders, Port Crew and Starboard Crew, are responsible for their crews in the same manner a PL is, if not more so, because we hold them to a higher degree of performance due to the older age.

I'm thinking this is an oversight. Will I be correct in allowing one of our Sea Scouts to advance to Star using his four months as Crew Leader to apply? Guidance please!!!

Skipper Trail Pounder

Hello Trail Pounder,

As I am sure you read, the Eagle Scout application says that the acceptable Positions of Responsibility for Eagle Scout for Sea Scouts are:

Boatswain

Boatswain's mate

Yeoman

Purser

Storekeeper

Clearly, I would say that a boy serving in one of those positions would meet the POR requirement. I don't know what the relationship of Boatswain and Boatswain's mate are but it is appropriate for all of your Crew leaders to be designated as Boatswain's mates?

Alternately, for Star Scout and Life Scout, there can be a "Scoutmaster assigned project" and I would interpret that such that for a Sea Scout Ship, the Skipper can assign a project. So if you want to assign serving as a Crew Leader as a project, it would meet the requirements for Star or Life. But not for Eagle Scout. That candidate must serve in one or more of the designated positions of responsibility.

Hi Neil, the Boatswain and Boatswain Mate are the equivalent of SPL and ASPL. The Crew Leaders or Coxswains are the equivalent of Patrol Leaders but are not on the list. Just strange is all. They should be on the list. Skipper assigned Project coupled with their Crew Leader Responsibilities, Check.

Hello TP,

1) You can write to National and ask why "Crew Leader" and/or "Coxswain" are not on the list.

2) Unless you wish, you don't need to have Crew Leader PLUS a Skipper assigned project. Rather, you could use Crew Leader responsibility AS the skipper assigned project.