Individual Scout BOR's

A little help on this one, please.

If a scout appears at a BOR and during the process and has stated that he doesn't remember what he learned, but only did the work to advance to the next rank.

1. Would you question him more to find out why ?

2. Would you stop the BOR and explian what needs to be done before appearing before a BOR again.

Tough one.

From Scouts side, the requirements don't say they have to retain everything, just do it, demonstrate it, etc. I would still expect him to remember something, but maybe that's out of line.

This actually opens up another recent thread about using BORs to gain insight into SM program side of troop. Why isn't the troop active enough that Scouts are continuously using and teaching the skills they learn?

It seems to me that the response to this should depend on the facts. Let's assume the boy is going up for First Class. Scenario 1: He remembers everything except how to tie the timber hitch--says "I learned it and demonstrated it to the SPL months ago, and now I seem to have forgotten how to do it." To me the obvious result is to approve his rank, perhaps with a jovial suggestion to practice the knot when he gets a chance. Scenario 2: Scout can't remember having done the cooking requirement, but says he must have because it was signed off. When asked about his visit to a public servant, says it was "some guy." When asked about the ten events, says "a couple campouts, other stuff, I dunno." Even if all these requirements were signed off, it seems reasonable to me that this boy needs more before he should advance.

Hunt,

I like your answer, but there's a hidden gotcha in there.

BOR doesn't re-test -- only supposed to confirm Scout has completed requirements. So you're not supposed to hand him a rope and ask him to demonstrate a timber hitch, but you can ask him how he learned the timber hitch, does he know what it's used for (a yes/no question), and how has he used the knot since he learned it. By poking around a bit, it's usually pretty obvious if there's a significant problem.(This message has been edited by Mike F)