Proposed New Expert Horseman Award

Let me put this out there and see what people think....

I am working on an Expert Horseman Award that goes beyond horsemanship merit badge and is for the dedicated and serious horseman. It would be to horsemanship what the Hornaday award is to conservation. The requirements would be met with anyone qualified to be a horsemanship merit badge counselor. The award consists of a knot, a medal for youth, and a medal or neck medal for adults.

Currently this is being proposed via my District.

Let's hear those thoughts....

Because of the cavalry heritage of Scouting, for one thing.

Is there even a plumbing merit badge? No, there is no need to create an expert rating for each merit badge. That would be ridiculous. The same basic argument you made could be made against the World Conservation Award, the Hornaday Award, BSA Lifeguard, Paul Bunyan, National Camping, etc., as "expert level ratings" of merit badge or other qualifications.

While we're at it, do we NEED Wood Badge beads? Isn't that just an expert version of Basic Scouter Training? Do we NEED Vigil Honor, Silver Buffalo, etc.? No, we don't. Forget Horsemanship merit badge. This would be to serious horsemen what the Hornaday Award is to serious conservationists.

"Because of the cavalry heritage of Scouting, for one thing."

Cavalry heritage of Scouting?

"Is there even a plumbing merit badge?"

Yes.

Sorry, I'm going to go with the others here. There's no medal and knot for BSA Life Saving, Paul Bunyan, etc..

Maybe a patch for BSA Horseman but I think that it would have to involve more than jumping or dressage. Maybe some useful skills like calf roping. :-)

Jumping and dressage aren't useful? Try moving cross-country with obstacles in your path. (Like when the electrical systems shut down and the cars can't get gas, and the local BSA troop has to get a message to someone in the next town, but can't take the roads.)

There's no medal for BSA Lifeguard, but there is, again, for Hornaday, and a uniform patch for World Conservation. Of course, the exact method of recognition isn't THAT important. A uniform patch or simply a knot is fine. (There's a knot for everything else.)

Cavalry heritage as follows:

1. B-P was a Cavalryman and even head of the British cavalry.

2. Scouting is organized along cavalry lines. Troop = a cavalry company. Cavalry troops often go out on patrol.

3. The campaign hat was used extensively by the cavalry (yes, I know others used it as well).

4. Scouting? That's one of the two main functions of the cavalry, traditionally, the other being attacking/killing.

5. Etc., etc.

"A uniform patch or simply a knot is fine. (There's a knot for everything else.)"

A knot for everything else? Other than the religious medal, about the only way that a Scout can earn something that has a knot is by saving a life. Horsey-back riding doesn't fall into that category.

Campaign hat = cavalry?

Baden-Powell, who had seen members of the Royal Canadian Field Artillery wearing Stetsons at the relief of Mafeking, ordered 10,000 directly from the American company to outfit his constabulary. This was also the style of hat that he approved for his Boy Scout movement in 1907. From http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/saw/equip/stetso_e.html

Sounds like the artillery introduced him to the hat.

" Try moving cross-country with obstacles in your path. (Like when the electrical systems shut down and the cars can't get gas, and the local BSA troop has to get a message to someone in the next town, but can't take the roads.)"

Should we also have an award (with medal and knot) for riding a bike, dirt bike, or running?

"4. Scouting? That's one of the two main functions of the cavalry, traditionally, the other being attacking/killing. "

Since Boy Scouts don't function as "scouts" and they don't attack or kill either, that connection is tenuous at best.

1. A knot for everything else? Other than the religious medal, about the only way that a Scout can earn something that has a knot is by saving a life. Horsey-back riding doesn't fall into that category.

** I was referring to the adult knots when I said there is a knot for everything. After looking at the list, one might think BSA is for the adults. Scouts can also earn the OA distinguished service medal and the Medal of Merit...plus wear the Quartermaster award and a few others. But, a patch suitable for right-pocket wear is fine. This is not "horsey-back" riding. It is a serious discipline of study no different than, again, the Hornaday award in scope of difficulty.

2. Campaign hat = cavalry?

Baden-Powell, who had seen members of the Royal Canadian Field Artillery wearing Stetsons at the relief of Mafeking, ordered 10,000 directly from the American company to outfit his constabulary. This was also the style of hat that he approved for his Boy Scout movement in 1907. From

Sounds like the artillery introduced him to the hat.

** I didn't say the cav INTRODUCED it, I said it was a favorite cavalry hat.

3. Should we also have an award (with medal and knot) for riding a bike, dirt bike, or running?

** IF such a medal is of the scope and difficulty I am proposing, sure.

4. Since Boy Scouts don't function as "scouts" and they don't attack or kill either, that connection is tenuous at best.

** Hmmm...stalking (and I mean of animals, not the criminal act) at least USED to be part of the program. I'm not an Army cavalryman, but the scouting function of cav does not generally involve attacking. The idea is, militarily, to observe one's enemy and SCOUT the way...much like BOY Scouts might track and stalk deer or bear. Great military prep.

As I am now on the computer with my intial requirements, I thought I'd post them. As to the complaints over the badge, someone suggested to me that a "saddle blanket" emblem be used. Not a bad idea.

Requirements:

1. All Section I and Section II requirements must be met.

2. Candidates may choose to fulfill the requirements of either Section III or Section IV. Section III consists of jumping exercises, while Section IV consists of trail-riding/hacking.

3. A minimum of six months of riding time must be included after the Scout or Scouter has fulfilled the requirements for Horsemanship Merit Badge. This may be waived by the award counselor only in cases of demonstrated long-term horsemanship experience.

SECTION I:

1. Complete the Horsemanship Merit Badge. Scouters must have done this as Scouts or complete the same requirements as adults.

2. Show ability to mount the horse from both the ground and a mounting block.

3. Discuss issues of safety related to handling and riding horses, including the following:

a. Horse biting and avoiding being bitten

b. Horse kicking and avoiding being kicked

c. Being thrown from a horse or falling from a horse

d. Being stepped on by a horse

e. Being caught between a horse and another object, such as a wall

f. A horse spooking and/or bolting

4. Demonstrate how to handle each of the situations listed above.

5. Demonstrate ability to catch a horse in the field three times. No other horses may be allowed to escape from the field. The horse, once caught, must be safely led to the stable, paddock, ring, or some other suitable location.

6. Demonstrate how to enter a stall containing a horse safely, tack up the horse in the stall, place a halter on the horse, lead the horse out of the stall, and prevent a horse from charging out the stall door once it is open.

7. Demonstrate how to feed a horse in the stall.

8. Demonstrate how to clean a stall.

9. Demonstrate how to wash down a horse, particularly after a ride.

SECTION II:

General Knowledge

1. Discuss the elements of riding attire appropriate to your style of riding, including formal, informal, and schooling. Discuss the reason why this attire is worn in each instance, including the safety elements.

2. Have proper riding attire. This need not be expensive nor owned by the candidate, but must include proper riding boots, pants suitable to riding, and a helmet.

3. Discuss the differences between English and Western riding.

4. Discuss the following equestrian sports and activities:

a. Eventing/ Combined Training

b. Dressage

c. Show Jumping

d. Fox hunting

e. Endurance Riding

f. Thoroughbred racing

g. Harness racing

h. Trail riding / hacking

i. Western Pleasure riding

j. Ranch riding

Tack

5. Discuss the use of the following:

a. Standing Martingale

b. Running Martingale

c. Draw Reins

d. Breastplate

6. Demonstrate the use of three of the four items of tack listed in requirement 3.

7. Discuss the difference between the following:

a. General-purpose English saddle

b. Dressage saddle.

c. Western saddle

d. Australian saddle

e. McClellan military saddle

8. Discuss the difference between different types of saddle pads and blankets and discuss their use. Demonstrate how to use saddle pad(s) and/or a blanket as appropriate to your style of riding.

9. Discuss and demonstrate the use of leg wraps, boots, bell boots, etc., as appropriate to your style of riding.

10. Discuss and be able to identify the standard bits and bridles used in your style of riding.

11. Discuss the use of various aids such as crops, spurs, and whips, and demonstrate their use as appropriate in your style of riding at your counselors discretion.

Riding on the Flat: (All requirements must be performed on both leads, i.e., first going one direction around the ring and then the other.)

12. Demonstrate the ability to riding in a ring along the outside and perform 20-meter circles at two opposite ends at a walk, trot, and canter.

13. Walk forward at least five strides, halt at a designated point, remain motionless for five seconds, begin walking again, and begin cantering (without transitioning through a trot) within one horse-length. The requirement is not fulfilled if the horse moves any of his hooves during the halt.

14. Demonstrate the ability to shorten and lengthen the stride at the walk, trot, and canter.

15. Demonstrate the ability to perform a half-pass at the trot.

16. Back the horse from a halt, halt for five seconds, and walk forward. The requirement is not fulfilled if the horse moves any of his hooves during the halt.

17. Demonstrate the ability to transition downward properly from the canter to the walk and from the canter to the trot.

18. Perform a figure-of-eight or serpentine pattern at the walk, trot, and canter. This should be ridden around fixed points such as cones.

Riding Cross-Country:

19. Ride in the field on relatively flat terrain at the walk, trot, and canter.

20. Ride in the field over uneven terrain at the walk, trot, and canter.

21. Gallop cross-country using the proper galloping seat.

22. Discuss (and demonstrate if possible) how to dismount, open a gate in a fence, lead the horse through the gate, remount, and continue riding.

23. If a stream is available and it is not too deep or too swift to be unsafe, ride across the stream.

24. Demonstrate how to ride up and down a steep hill.

SECTION III (Jumping):

NOTE: All riders MUST wear an approved safety helmet, proper riding boots, and pants suited for riding while jumping in order to fulfill the requirements of this section.

1. Discuss safety precautions that must be taken while jumping.

2. Discuss what to do if your horse refuses a jump. If your horse refuses a jump during the exercises for this section, demonstrate the proper response.

3. Discuss the proper seat (two-point seat) for jumping and why that seat is preferred for jumping.

4. Discuss the various approaches that can be made to a jump and why it is important to learn to sense the number of strides to a jump.

5. Ride three times around a suitable jumping ride in a two-point / jumping seat.

6. Demonstrate the ability to jump over a 6-inch to 1-foot low-X jump at a trot. Show proper seat.

7. Demonstrate ability to jump over a 1 foot high straight bar jump at the canter.

8. Do one of the following:

a. Jump a course of five to seven jumps no more than 2 feet in height at a canter. The course is designed by the counselor. The rider must ride at a canter for the entire course to fulfill the requirements. All jumps must be taken in proper order without excessive riding between jumps.

b. Jump a straight bar fence of at least three feet, jump an oxer (or similar fence) in the same height range with one to two feet of spread. Jump a straight-bar gymnastic line in the same height range with three jumps no more than two strides apart.

c. Jump two cross-country jumps of height at least 1 feet and spread at least 6 inches. One jump must be downhill and the other must be uphill. Jump up and down a bank at least 1 feet high. Jump into and out of a water complex.

SECTION IV (Trail-riding / hacking):

NOTE: All trail rides must be done following the buddy system.

1. Discuss safety precautions that must be taken while trail-riding/hacking.

2. Discuss what to do if a horse bolts or spooks while riding in the field.

3. Discuss the benefits and/or drawbacks of various types of saddles for trail-riding.

4. Discuss the benefits and/or drawbacks of trail-riding at each gait, i.e., walk, trot, and canter.

5. Carry out a trail ride of one hours length. During this ride, ride at all three gaits and show proper awareness of surroundings.

6. After completing requirement 5, carry out a trail ride of three hours length. During this ride, ride at all three gaits and show proper awareness of surroundings.

7. After completing requirements 5 and 6, carry out a day-long trail ride. During this ride, ride at all three gaits and show proper awareness of surroundings. Suitable breaks for lunch, water, etc., may be taken. Time out of the saddle should, however, be minimized.

8. Demonstrate how to ride in wooded areas with tree limbs in the path of the rider. Demonstrate how to move the tree limbs and brush out of the way safely while riding. If such an area is not available, discuss the proper procedure.

9. Discuss issues of your horses health while on a trail ride.

10. Discuss proper procedure for trail-riding in inclement weather. If possible, demonstrate your ability to ride in the rain (but not a thunderstorm or other sever weather) at your counselors discretion.

I still don't see the purpose of the award other than to promote your sport. To my knowledge, BSA doesn't have special marksmanship awards but Scouts may earn NRA awards once they have mastered the basics of shooting. If you are a crackerjack kyaker, there isn't a BSA kyaking award is there?

There is no kayaking award YET. However, there is Boardsailing, BSA, Snorkeling, BSA, and Mile Swim, BSA for the sports of boardsailing, snorkeling/diving, and swimming...not to mention Paul Bunyan Woodsman for the serious axeman, and Hornaday and World Conservation for the serious conservationist (though not a sport).

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. The Hornaday Award is for outstanding service to Conservation. The award you are proposing is for developing one's own skill. The other "awards" you list are not for uniform wear, such as the 50 miler award and Historic Trails award. So, while your "award" may have merit I submit it is more appropriately a patch worn on a horse blanket, saddle, or on one's jodhpurs.

Right.... Someone else did suggest a "saddle blanket" patch, and that, or some other creative insignia, would be fine and perhaps more appropriate. I have my little Paul Bunyan axe on one of my packs, and it has never bothered me it can't go on the uniform.

A patch on jods? Other than the knee patches, I've never seen that done! :)

Rudd Baron - forgive the non horse folks, as they might not quite get it when it comes to horsemanship....

As for a patch or an award, I would suggest reaching out to the United States Pony Club and see if they would sponsor a cross program patch. This org. empasizes many of the same principles as scouting, but it is applied to horsemanship. It is a global enterprise and quite large in the U.S. They emphasize: Horsemanagement, riding ability, competition in: Dressage, show jumping, combined training, games, polocross. They also run a program, tetrathalon, which is composed of horsemanagement, swimming, running, shooting and showjumping. If you need contact information, let me know.

tx

ex pony clubber