Had our SPL attend NYLT at D-Bar-A Scout Ranch this past week. He's the first boy in our troop to attend the program since we started two years ago. I received an email inviting Scoutmasters to come have dinner Friday night and celebrate the week with the boys.

There was no way I would miss the opportunity to get up to camp, even for just a few hours. I got there about an hour early so I could watch the boys in action cooking dinner. I was very impressed that the adults were seemingly "standing around doing nothing". Just what I hoped I would see!

My SPL saw me first and met me on the path into camp. It was good to spend a couple of minutes with him and talk about his week. He seemed genuinely happy to see me. I let him get back to work on dinner with his patrol and went to the porch with the other old guys.

Soon enough, a few boys I knew from other troops came up to say hello. It made me feel good when these young men came forward with that left hand handshake, always saying "Hi" and using my name. These guys really are leaders in the making. To a one though, they each asked if I knew whether their Scoutmaster was going to be there. I had to tell each that I didn't know, but maybe the course Scoutmaster knew. He was wise enough to tell each only that all Scoutmasters had been invited, but he didn't know for sure who was coming. That way, no expectations were set for a fall.

I thought a fair share of Scoutmasters did show up. The boys were excited to show off their skills and well prepared camp meal. The SM for a couple of boys I know did not show up. So I split my time between my own SPL and the other boys. They are good boys and told their patrol mates how they have known me since "Tigers".

My first impressions of our Council NYLT program were very positive and I am sure we will be sending more boys to it in the future. But the unexpected lesson I learned was that the boys really do care what their Scoutmaster thinks. And it means a lot to them when we show that they are important to us and that we care about each boy individually. Without intention, I am sure I earned points with my own SPL and with some other fine young men. And maybe their faith in adults was raised just a little. I learned our smallest actions are noticed by others and may have a big impact.

Sure, I already "knew" that stuff. I learned it in JLT way back when. But having it reinforced by a bunch of boys is a powerful lesson. Treat your boys well, respect them, and love them. I am realizing now that I have not only one son in my troop, but nineteen! And apparently more than a few "nephews" in other nearby troops.

" Treat your boys well, respect them, and love them."

What wonderful and wise words.

For me, this is why I do what I do.

We seem to shy away from the word love, but humans and some other species know when others care about them and respond to the caring and love we place on them.

Thank You.

Eamonn.