rules for young drivers at scouting events

As a tangent to my other post about scouts, cars, and the occasional idiocy of teen age boys behind the wheel, I have a question about BSA driving rules.

I know that youth drivers are not supposed to drive other scouts to/from scouting events. Does that apply to younger siblings? Or only to unrelated scouts? If a parent gives permission for their child (related or not) to ride in the car with a youth driver, does that over-ride this limitation? Or is it a hard-and-fast BSA rule?

You should check with your local council scout executive.

It was my understanding that these rules are in regard to unit trips and not to individuals driving to troop meetings.

The automobile rules listed in the Guide to Safe Scouting are re-printed from the Tours and Expeditions Guide which is related to unit trips and to individuals going to scouting events outside of the unit level.

Yah, BW's got it, eh?

The BSA rules apply only to unit trips (where da unit is arranging/providing the transportation, and is therefore responsible). If the unit is just meeting somewhere for a meeting or event and it's up to the boys/parents how they get there, then G2SS is not in play. It's up to da boys/parents how they get there!

We don't want to be managin' the carpool from the soccer practice to the meeting night, nor do we want to be collectin' insurance information from Uncle Fester who is droppin' young Pugsley off because his parents are celebratin' their anniversary.

Beavah

That's the way I understand it as well.

When I see a boy engaging in some kind of risky behavior, I first confront him with the fact that we live in a community in which no matter what he does, where he does it, or when he does it, someone will be watching. I can depend on this cooling his jets for about an hour to a day. If I let him know that I'm honor bound to mention it to his mom next time I see her, I might get another day out of it.

Sometimes we have to accept that they're all candidates for the Darwin award.

Back in the old days, when there were still distributors and rotors...oh well.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about the driver in this case, who (now that he has his license) is also the primary mode of transport for one of our new scouts - his little brother. I did not realize the rules applied to trips only but I can see why that makes some sense. (that said, the chances of me agreeing to my child ever riding anywhere in this kid's car went from slim to none as a result of seeing this)