Success in the Patrol Method

Many of you have heard of our continuing troop saga; I hope I have not bored you with the boys success and my obstacles. I want to tell you of a great success one of our patrols had.

The Mosquito patrol wanted to have a patrol hike. The PL is also the Den Chief of a Webelos den which is mostly crossing to our troop. One of the Webelos did not have the chance to participate in a "troop outdoor activity" and would only miss this for his Arrow of Light. The PL asked if inviting a Webelos den to a Patrol hike would fill this requirement. The WDL agreed it would suffice, so the patrol invited 2 Webelos dens to join them.

They choose a nature trail at a local State Park. It was about 2.5 miles along the banks of a river through a very diverse forest area. When they got to the park, recent rains had forced the river about 15' above the normal level, completely submerging the road and the trail. After conferring with the drivers (one troop leader and both Webelos leaders), an alternate location was selected, about 15 miles north (45 miles by road, as it was submerged completely by the swollen river). Once the scouts got there, they walked a nature trail between 2 state forest recreation area lakes (each with small campgrounds). The hike, though delayed, went about 3.5 miles, and a great time was had by all. The patrol wants to go back to one of these areas to do a patrol campout, and these Webelos now want to join the Mosquito patrol. They even brought along a prespective scout who had dropped out of cubs a year ago; he is now chomping at the bit to join the troop.

It is obvious to me that this activity has gone a long way to solidify this patrol, as a team. They did a bumper job of recruiting, and are well on their way to being a real top patrol in the troop.

Now if we can only inspire the other two patrols to do the same thing....

The biggest frustration I have with the patrol method is the differences in the patrols' joint personalities. One patrol (usually the younger boys) are fired up and work really hard at it. The older boys tend to blow things off and screw around a lot more.

Gotta love the young 'uns that go out recruit and design some great programming for themselves and others. Congrats!

Stosh

Buffalo Skipper, Chalk that one up as an A+. Bringing along some Webelos and a prospective scout A++. I think you'll see some momentum build. The Mosquitoes have developed a taste for some real meat and it might just be contagious!!