Last weekend we did a short backpack trip, three days, 10 mile loop. We had 2 of our new scouts out on their first trip with us and we wanted a light duty hike for them.

Though we strive for the Patrol Method at all times, our hikes usually turn into a cooperative effort between the SPL and adults. This time however, I informed the SPL that he would have the map and the adults would stay in the back with their mouths shut.

Thirty minutes into the hike there was a fork in the trail. Trails were not marked well in this area, so the spl asks me which way to go.

Silence.

So he figures it out and we head on to our first destination. Due to the terrain, the adults camped about a 299 feet ;-) away from the scouts.

I go down later to check on things, expecting to have to remind them about keeping a clean camp, don't leave your equipment out, store your food properly, etc... so I get down there and...

All tents are setup.

Equipment is neatly arranged.

All food is stored and bear bagged.

Kitchen is setup. They are cooking dinner.

Not a piece of litter in sight.

Kewl! The next day we start to get ready for the hike, we go down to check to see when they will be ready and...

All tents are down.

Equipment is packed.

Packs are ready.

Campsite is clean.

Kewl! We hike to our next destination but the trails again are not well marked, so we miss a turn. Spl asks where we should go. Silence. We backtrack a bit and find a turn and take it. I know its the wrong place to turn, but again, silence. It turns out this trail eventually meets up with the trail we are trying to get to, so no problem, it works out. We finally get to our campsite and are met by two of our other scouts who hiked in to meet us ( cause they couldn't start with us on Friday ).

Sunday we are getting ready to hike out but we find that the scouts are waiting on the adults to finish packing up! They are on our case for slowing down the group!

Kewl! Role Reversal City!

Took a long time to get there, but its working! Woo Hoo!!!!

Scout Salute! Two.

Yah, nice job, CA. Takes real self control and restraint for us adults to be da strong, silent types willing to hike a few miles in the wrong direction.

Now that you've seen that they can do it, your homework is to pick some other reasonably sized trip and let 'em hike on their own.

Beavah

Excellent job, CA! I bet that SPL was bragging to his parents about how he was in charge of the entire Troop for the trip! His confidence is surely growing, and he will be wanting more responsibility on down the road. He is setting a great example for the rest of the Troop. You can't buy this stuff with any amount of money!

Due to the terrain, the adults camped about a 299 feet ;-) away from the scouts.

I go down later to check on things, expecting to have to remind them about keeping a clean camp, don't leave your equipment out, store your food properly, etc... so I get down there and...

All tents are setup.

Equipment is neatly arranged.

All food is stored and bear bagged.

Kitchen is setup. They are cooking dinner.

Not a piece of litter in sight.

You can also get the same results on regular monthly Troop campouts if you separate your very best Patrol Leaders by that same "299 feet" :)

That is what Baden-Powell meant when he wrote about giving "REAL Responsibility" to Patrol Leaders: 300 feet.

Inferior Patrol Leaders should be kept closer. Start with 1/10th Real Responsibility: 30 feet.

Kudu

WAy to go CA_Scouter!

I LOVE forks in the trail. One time, my scouts took the wrong fork and it took them a mile to realize it and turn back. I did the same as you, kept my mouth shut the whole time.

It's hard to deal with the scout's mistakes and sometimes you have to hike a few extra miles, but it's worth it. Once they realize that you are not going to step in and take over when things go wrong, they start taking responsibility for and learn from their decisions.