Scout-planned and Scout-Executed

I took the advice of someone here and got the 3rd Edition of the Handbook for Scoutmasters. Mine is the 1945 printing. As I am reading along on page 521 of the second volume (not to worry the second volume's numbering starts where the first one left off)I read

"But like everything else, it stands or falls with the Scoutmaster's personality and enthusiasm - and with his willingness to provide for a BOY-PLANNED and BOY-EXECUTED program."

So BOY-PLANNED and BOY-EXECUTED sounds a lot like boy led, boy run but yet it seems to be clearer and more well defined to me.

Coupling this with a post earlier this week where someone stated that they never call the members of their troop boys but always Scouts. I too do this for the same reason; a Scout is more than a boy. A Scout is a boy with special experience and special training who has the power of the Scout Oath and Law woven into his being.

Which led me to Scout-planned and Scout-executed. I like this so much I am going to work these words into my everyday deals with the Scouts.

A step backwards always leads to a big step forward. :^)

Now when the in-group people say you're old fashioned and out of touch with the boys, just smile and nod, they'll think you're either extremely wise or too stupid to understand the modern boy.

My boys eat up the old books and are more excited about them than anything else BSA has to offer for training and literature.

Last week I had to call around and hunt down my 1911 reprint edition from my boys. It was still floating around and I wanted to look something up. My ASPL had it.

Boy-planned/boy-executed is too long to type out all the time, so boy-led works to get the point across.

Enjoy!

Stosh

Once you read those old Scoutmaster books, you can never go back.....

Even the most doubtful about "boy-lead" has to be amazed at the things Scouts were able to do back then. I'm not sure any of my Scouts would measure up to any of things those Scouts were doing in the 1940's....we just don't let them.

One year into Scout-planned and Scout -executed, and I can see the difference.

Stay the course, and spread the word. Hold a parent meeting and let them know what the real scout program is all about.

No kidding True Believer!

It amazes me how society doesn't want to let these young men grow up until they're magically Voting Age. Some of my boys' eyes bug out when I remind them that just 100 years ago they might be the chief wage-earner in the house at their age.

I had always learned that you can call them boys or Scouts since it is the Boy Scouts but never EVER call them "kids".

I never really thought about it until now but I think the fact our adult leadership was frequently absentee during a lot of troop/patrol activities was a growth factor for a lot of the boys in our troop. We learned to plan and work for ourselves because we had to.

I admit that I was fortunate in growing up to be in a scout organized and run troop. Most of the troops save one in my district were liek that. Funny thing about that one troop. Yes they won all the competitions, was the smartest looking troop at summer camp, etc. But the SM did 99% of the work and did not let the scouts do anything. While my troop was trudging along using the patrol method, after the original SM left the troop after 25 years, that troop folded once the SM left.

Let the scouts do their job of planning and organizing, and let adults do their job of drinking coffee, and just watch how much the troop does!