How to train PL & SPL

I have been the SM for a little over a year and I have tried to start a true boy led troop. However the problems are these. I appointed a SPL last may. He has done well but I have to tell him everything to do. If I set an agenda for a meeting he will do it but when it comes to having to do set one on his own he doesn't. The boys (1 patrol) selected a patrol leader at the same time. (they picked the worst boy of the troop, Great kid no skills) I decided to let them lie in their mistake, so to speak. However, he was no help to the SPL. We have just last week split into 2 patrols and now have 2 PL. The boys again picked the leaders and I think that they did an OK job.

What should I do. The Green Bar training and the TLT or one or the other?

I have found that the boys will "test" the leadership and the post seems to indicate this may be the problem. Sure, it's okay to let them stew in their juices for a bad choice, but if the boys only follow an adult's agenda, then it's an adult led program.

Suggestion?: Do Green Bar training, TLT, NYLT, your own thing (SM expectations for the program spelled out in detail), etc. HAVE ALL THE BOYS TAKE THE TRAINING.

Then from the boys, assign a PL that will lead. If there is enough boys (+8) for two patrols assign 2 PL's NO SPL for now. Get the patrols to function first! If the patrols don't function as a separate entity, then all the other "officers" are a waste of time. If the PL doesn't function, put in a different boy until one gets a boy that functions and can lead and can set an example for the other boys. Until that happens, the patrols will flounder and constantly look to the adults to bail them out, i.e. adult-led. Tenure is as long as the boy does the job. If he's not doing it on his own, then put someone else in there. They have all been trained and they should all get the same chance at the position. If a boy really needs the PL position for advancement, he had better step up to the plate, get into the PL position, and work his butt off staying there and doing a good job.

Until that happens, the unit will constantly stand around until an adult takes the reins. These boys have all been taught to follow and be entertained. Unless it is clear the boys are really going to be doing the leading and one is serious about getting it started, the boys will continually "test" the resolve of the SM.

Stosh

Tell your SPL you expect him to be 30 days ahead of the PLs and you expect the PLs to be 30 days ahead of the scouts...

Never discuss these matters indoors or over the phone.

Always counsel these nuggets of wisdom on hikes or in nthe camp setting...

Play the game as seen thru the eys of a boy...this is not the time for MBA tricks and fancies of your professional or calling...

You reinforce such notions during you SM palavers also done in the fiels or hiking trails...never indoors or over the phone..

Its scouting and its a game

all scouting is local

MCCET

PMTNPO

'OWL