Kids Going Solo

Positively yes.

After all, we want well-trained, confident, self-reliant kids so we have to allow them to do something on their own without being overly protective.

They will manage fine and yes, check it out, that's what the old Chief wrote about, too.

best regards,

Volker

Is a patrol required to ask permission of an SM before they go on a hike outside the confines of a troop activity? I don't think so but they will certainly need their parents permission.

If I were an SM of a troop, I would tell my patrols that they can plan their own activities outside the confines of troop activities (from a video game lock-in at one of their homes to a hike to a campout). I would only require that they get permission from their parents and I'd advise them if they asked for help.

In reality though, the chances of the patrols in my unit doing this is neglibible but not zero. It's almost always the older boys that do this type of stuff and they're all dual-registered with our COs Venturing Crew so they get this outlet there.

"Is a patrol required to ask permission of an SM before they go on a hike outside the confines of a troop activity? I don't think so but they will certainly need their parents permission."

If they want it to be a sanctioned scout outing then Yes, they are required by the BSA to have the Scoutmasters perssion. (See the Boy Scout Handbook, The SM Handbook).

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to try the leash-lengthening method at first. (My scouts are super young 11-14).

On official scouting Patrol outings, I'll be stationed with my ASM a distance away and rendeveous with the patrol at some time. I won't be so far as not to be able to reach them in a hurry, and we'll have cell phone contact. Also- I thought is best to always have them know exactly where they are on a map so I can reach them. (My ASM wants them to have gps's too- I'm an old compass guy).

Our first Patrol only outing is this Spring - I'll report back...

Pappy