Info on Snuffy Hollow or other like events?

I'm not sure if anyone is from the NJ area but my troop is participating in an invitational camporee known as Snuffy Hollow. From what i gather it is a more "traditional" camporee largely stressing the patrol method and some classic scout skills. The patrol equipment list requires semaphore flags. There is no real scoutmaster crackerbarrel only an SPL meeting/critique. From what i gather the Junior Leaders (SPL, ASPL, and JASM) are not allowed to compete. They must supervise and run Troop operations. The campsites must be set up to particular standards. i.e. distinct patrol campsites, no plastic fire buckets, gear must be suspended off the ground, gateway constructed, latrine dug, etc.

I think it is an excellent approach to encouraging the Patrol Method in the scouts. Lots of work to be done and lots of oppourtunities for leadership and teachable moments.

I was wondering if anyone out there have had similar events in their areas and cares to share their experiences. And of course if anyone has gone or heard anything about this event and might have any advice I can pass on to my SPL.

Thanks,

taamland

• 7 months later...

The Camporee established in 1963 and has continued yearly. It is the second oldest invitational Camporee in the country, behind the United States Military Academy Scoutmasters Council West Point Invitational Camporee.

We emphasize the patrol method, looking for cooperation, teamwork and leadership. The competition is based on a rigorous 5 mile hike on colored trails with problems to solve using the compass. Field stations are also set up and they must be completed before the patrol goes on the assigned trail.

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place troops receive trophies, also the Best Overall Troop awarded the Snuffy Gun for a year, and last place troop gets the Boot. We inspect the campsites for the Best Troop Campsite trophy award. The Best Overall Patrol members receive the Snuffy Neckerchief. 1st, 2nd and 3rd patrols in each competition station and trail receive their placement ribbons.

A Tater Hollow site is set up for Webelos Scouts and they have their own competition and awards.

The Camporee is by invitation only, sanctioned by the Central New Jersey Council, BSA. Organized, planned and run by a committee of volunteers representing local units, most with 25-30 or more years of scouting experience. Snuffy Hollow Camporee is the result of their dedication and a great deal of year around hard-work.

The Best Overall Troop and the Boot troop has extended automatic, guaranteed invitation for the following year Camporee. Invitations we rotate and extend to as many council-wide troops as possible and to a few guest units. The committee would like to allow all to attend who wishes to come but the available campsites are limited and the type of program we provide limits the number of units attending.

We have the Scoutmasters, Jr. Leaders meeting in February to go over information about the Camporee held always on the first weekend of May, every year.

2005 posting