F Scouter

Maybe now you can finally understand the point, if you do not like my views then Beavah,Joe Bob, and desertrat have all done excellent jobs articulating in great detail the same points we have all been discussing and which you seem to have a problem either understanding or are in plain denial as the reality of scouting today.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fred8033 writes:

"I'm still fairly new,"

Then you are not aware that BSA trainers often defended the BSA's "21st century" Patrol Method and Outdoor Method with rhetorical devices such as personal attacks and disinformation. :)

fred8033 writes:

"When I see it written as "B-P's Patrol System", that seems to reference the 1970's created B-P scout association and not Baden Powell, the person."

My use of the term "B-P's Patrol System" clearly refers to Baden-Powell's Patrol System (as opposed to Hillcourt's Patrol Method, or our 21st century Troop Method). :)

In the United States, an actual reference to a BPSA should distinguish between our country's two competing organizations:

The Baden-Powell Service Association [bPSA-US] (based on Baden-Powell's 1938 PO&R), and

The Baden-Powell Scout Association [bPSA-USA] (based on the 1965 PO&R of Baden-Powell's own Boy Scout Association).

The 1938 PO&R was the last set of rules edited by B-P himself:

http://inquiry.net/traditional/por/proficiency_badges.htm

The 1965 PO&R includes a "Senior Scout Section" proposed by B-P in 1917, but reportedly vetoed by his committee until after his death.

fred8033 writes:

"I've seen nothing from the past that talked about patrol leaders scheduling regular testing / retesting for rank requirements 'on patrol hikes'."

In the rest of the world, the Patrol Leaders of "Real" Patrols handled Tenderfoot through First Class testing. John Thurman's account, "The Court of Honor in Session" (CoH = PLC) is typical:

The TL (Troop Leader = SPL) then calls on each PL in turn:

TL: Tom, what have you got to say about the Owls?

PL Owls: We're pretty good. Since the last meeting two of my Patrol have gained their Second Class...

TL: The Woodpeckers, Jim?

PL Woodpeckers: The two recruits we had from the Pack aren't bad; they have both done fire-lighting and cooking. I always try to get this testing through in the winter so that they can get real experience.

TL: Well, that's nothing to boast about; its Troop tradition anyway, but I am glad you are carrying it out for a change.

PL Woodpeckers: We haven't had a proper Patrol Meeting, except that we went on a hike a fortnight ago; all present except three. We went about eight miles and explored the old mill.

PL Owls: It's about time you found another hike route; you've been reporting about the old mill for the last eight months.

TL: Well, perhaps you can offer him one of your more imaginative hikes.

PL Woodpeckers: Thanks very much, but we're doing all right. The Owls can carry on with their own route marches.

http://inquiry.net/patrol/court_honor/coh_session.htm

(Thurman also uses Hillcourt's term "Real Patrol" for Patrols that hike without adults).

Even in the BSA's adult-dominated version of the Patrol Method, Hillcourt's Real Patrol Leaders were responsible for leading adult-free Patrol Hikes to teach Tenderfoot through First Class skills: "The program of these Patrol outings should include the activities of camping and Scoutcraft such as fire lighting, cooking, tracking, signaling, using the knife and hatchet, exploring, mapping, judging, nature love, pioneering, games" (Handbook for Scoutmasters, 3rd Ed., page 215).

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

That should have been "nature lore" in the last line :)

The method that follows the sentence above is particularly useful in countries in which the Patrol System is handicapped by a government that picks and chooses a corporate Scouting monopoly that forbids Patrol overnights. :)

"Frequently it will be desirable to have the Patrols start out on separate hike and to meet as a Troop at an agreed place later in the day. This method is particularly useful in Troops in which the all-day Saturday hikes are handicapped by the Scoutmaster's having to work in the morning" (Green Bar Bill, Handbook for Scoutmasters, 3rd Ed., page 215).

Examples of our Troop doing that:

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net