Scouting Staffer Lucky He was only Fired.

This just hit the online edition of Maine's second largest paper. Katahdin Area Council has fired one of their high adventure staff after he survives going over Allagash Falls (roughly a 40 foot drop) in far northern Maine. He was demonstrating the proper way to NOT go Rump-Bumping in a river.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/07/13/news/aroostook/scouting-staffer-safe-after-rump-bumping-over-allagash-falls-fired-for-safety-violation/

He's fortunate he was only injured and fired rather than wind-up in a coffin.(This message has been edited by moxieman)

Heard a story, a long time ago (no idea if it is true or not) -- one of my closest friends was a guide at Matagamon, circa 1978-79. He said one of the other guides, on the Allagash, had a group go over a "grand pitch"...the guide couldn't stop them in time, so he just decided to go too. Story is they ended up with just one broken leg in the group, and a whole lot of damaged equipment.

I've been there -- it is some scary looking whitewater. We did a "rump bump" on Webster Brook, which wasn't too bad. But I did hit a rock with my knee, and it took months before it felt better.

Guy