When I was a Scout my Troop had a tradition of giving out special awards that were specific to a particular Scout or Scouter. And now as Scoutmaster of my new Troop, I have decided to bring this tradition to our Scouts.

Last night, I recognized a Scouter and two Scouts. I wanted to create some kind of award for outstanding Scouter--someone who has helped me a great deal--and, since my name is Beaver, I wanted to come up with an award using that name. Alas, that prestigious award is already taken. So instead I decided to award this Scouter with the Silver Sierra Cup award. (This particular cup belonged to my grandfather and was something he always had on him when hiking the AT.)

Then, I recognized a Scout for pursing his Native American roots and helping to bring awareness in our Troop. He received some nice framed prints of Native Americans on the Plains. Then, to recognize the SPL for his outstanding leadership and for attending NYLT I awarded him his very own campaign hat.

All three awards were associated with the Scouting movement while not being official BSA awards. These weren't ranks, merit badges or 50 miler patches. But somehow I feel like these three individuals got a little more excitement for recognizing the "little things" that they do over the course of the year.

Do you do special awards at courts of honor?

You could still do a Beaver award. It could be the "Bob Beaver Award" or "Jim Beaver Award"

Just don't call it the Scouting Beaver Award or anything that could be implied that it's an offical award from BSA.

Our SM will hand out spoecial awards from time to time to scouts and scouters.

Usually it is stuff he made himself like a decorated necklace of leather, wood, beads and maybe a feather or something.

Every award is unique and individual.

Usually, he gives them out during "circle up" after an event.

At the COH immediately following summer camp, the SM would give an award to the scout that most exemplified scout spirit. It was a neckerchief slide that he had carved during summer camp.

After high adventures, miscellaneous awards would be given to particpants, related to something that happened on the trip: a broken fishing pole to a scout that had broken his during the trip; a picture of John Wayne to a scout that had picked up the nickname "The Duke" during the trip.