Scouting needs to be more tech savvy

Unrealistic ad revenues are needed for Facebook to keep up the inflated stock price. They are nowhere near going under at this point. By the time they do, there will be a new application for communication. That's the thing with tech, it is always changing.

More tech savy?

With no disrespect intended to anyone.

I have to say that I worry a little bit when anyone says that we need to be more anything.

More outdoor oriented. More concerned about the boys. More involved with youth protection and so the list goes on.

Sometimes it is kinda like the guys who know all about fine wine.

The swirl it, they sniff it, they talk about it having a good nose and under-tones of this and that and a fine full body then they taste it and spit it out.

In the real world us real people hand over fifty dollars buy a bottle of what we hope will be a decent bottle of wine take it home and enjoy it.

I do not consider myself to be tech savy.

I do have a lot of the toys. The lap-tops, an I-pad an I-pod and a desk top.

What is really missing is the desire. The yearning to really want to do more the feeling that doing more is important.

The real truth is for me it just isn't.

We can go on about how the Scouts have all this stuff, but again the truth is very few have, they just can't afford it.

While the parents who work with or in the computer area are savy, in my neck of the woods the savy are very few.

They are fine with email but send them a word document and they are unable to open it.

They don't know what a pod-cast is.

So before we get ahead of ourselves lets remember who we are working with.

Eamonn

Does scouting need to be more tech savy?? Why?

The program or essence of the scouting experience is not about becoming tech savy it is about learning leadership, organizational, and outdoor skills, and having a great time doing it.

Technology is great in its place, however in scouting it is nothing more than a hindrance or a crutch. Case in point on a recent crew camping trip a group went out with a new GPS device, while another went out with map and compass and they were going to meet at a designated landmark. Well the GPS groups device went on the blink and they were stuck which way to go so instead they reversed course and went back to camp frustrated. The map and compass group not only got to that landmark they were privileged to witness the birth of a fawn in the process.

So for me at least the real essence of scouting is the communing with and experience living in the natural world with all its majesty. All the rest is really window dressing.

"The Boy Scouts of America is trying to recruit a new generation of kids to join its troops with high-energy, high-tech activities that include thrill-inducing zip lines at a new adventure camp, apps and a television show."

How does a "high-tech" zip line compare to a non "high-tech" zip line?

(Didn't realize we had "high-tech" in 1954, but I guess we did.)

How is a "television show" "high energy"? Battery-operated and watched while running laps?

Communications skills would help, as would clear thinking.

0___0

So I go to register my webelos for resident camp......

So I need to create an account with other council.....then I need to complete a roster with bsa id's, street addresses, birthdates and phone numbers......

Then I have to register each boy individually......half way thru the sessions were full....I cannot edit the previous boys to keep my group together.......

At this point I have three hours registering 10 webelos for camp.....NO. Emailed the CD and told them I wasn't doing it.....if she couldn't do it for me I would take my boys else where......the should return my check immediately.....

Pissed off yes....completely ridiculous.....