Swim test requirements (Form 20-290)

I have been trying to find form 20-290 which I believe contains the official requirements for passing the basic swim test but I am not having much luck. If anyone has a link to this, i would greatly appreciate a post with the link.

What I am specifically trying to find, is information regarding floating. Based on personal experience, i know that some kids just will not float. In these cases it used to be acceptable for the boy to "dog paddle" for a period of time instead of floating. All I can find now however are notes saying that this is no longer acceptable. If this is true, what do we do about those boys that cannot float because of their body makeup?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not acceptable!

Wait for the boys to grow. Their lung capacity will double, enabling them to float. Until then, keep them in the beginners area.

I need to know that swimmers who get a cramp or are just plain tired can give a guard a few seconds of floating while he/she attempts to deliver support.

Try dog paddling with one leg immobilized (simulating a cramp) sometime. It's an interesting view with the surface above you!

If you're worried about First Class requirements, don't. It's perfectly fine if some boys take 4 years to earn the rank by rights.

If you have a kid whose physically disabled, apply for a waiver. Your district advancement chair should have instructions on the process.

Unfortunate waiting for them to grow wont work. There are physical attributes that can prevent a person from floating other than lung capacity. I personally sank lick a rock well into my 30's. I still do not float well and will sink somewhat.

What I really need is a link to the official scouting regulations to determine what the official stance is.

Thank you very much for your reply,

Mark

In all my time I have never heard of 'doggie paddling" instead of floating.

Now while I did not see this with BSA, I did see it with another organization. One of the requirements to pass lifeguard certification was to float. We had one guy who was 280-300 pounds of muscle as he was a wrestling coach. I can't remember the body fat % he had, but it was single digits, I think 8 or 9% but may be lower. Try as he might, spreading out arms and legs, arching back, tilting head, ever single trick to float would not work. His mouth would eb out of the water for a few seconds, and down he goes.

And of course he was my partner to do all my passive and active rescues :)

The "Dog Paddle" option was applied to me when I was a young scout. Every year at camp, they would make me try to float and I could not. They would then ask me to do a dead mans float. After returning to the surface of the lake with my foot covered in mud from the lake bed (and after the laughter had died down, I was informed that rocks sank slower than I did and was then asked to dog paddle for 2 minutes in order to pass the swim test. This was back in the late 70's early 80's so policies may have changed but unfortunately body make up has not kept up with policy. I see boys now that can swim like a fish but float like an old caddy.

E92, I got that guy too!

The official stance is whatever risk the aquatics director can accept! I need to know you can stop motion in the water and relax. If you sink, I need to know you can bring yourself to the surface in a kick or two, get your breath, and not panic if you sink again!

If you have a 16 year old with a proven track record of sinking, that's different than a 12 year old who simply has never tried to stay afloat after wearing himself out swimming 100 yards.

But talk to the person(s) supervising the aquatics area, they know their staff and what they're capable of.

Like I said, for rank advancement, if it's a physical disability, apply for a waiver.

OK see the problem the form is now 430-122 .Check out this link

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Outdoor%20Program/Aquatics/pdf/430-122.pdf

here's what it says about the test requirements and all caps and bold are in orioginal, not shouting ;)

TO THE TEST ADMINISTRATOR

The various components of each test evaluate the several skills essential to the minimum level of swimming ability. Each step of the test is important and should be followed as listed below:

SWIMMERS TEST:

Jump feetfirst into water over the head in depth, level off, and begin swimming. Swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim

25 yards using an easy resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be swum continuously and include at least one sharp turn. After completing the swim, rest by floating.

BEGINNERS TEST:

Jump feetfirst into water over the head in depth, level off, swim 25 feet on the surface, stop, turn sharply, resume swimming as before, and return to starting place.

Hope it helps.

I'm getting old. Yes a kick or two can be done, or at least I've seen that doen during a swim test.

Again the administrator needs to know what is up as qwasze suggests.

I know the last time I did a swim test, I was asked if I really wanted to do it as they just saw me rescue someone.

Also no more lakes and ponds for swimming at scout camps, gotta have pools. Apparently it's against some federal law to have under 18yos work in lake and pond environments. That's why all the camp I've been to recently have pools, even the ones that had manmade lakes made specifically to be used for swimming areas.

E92; Suspect there is some flexibility with the "pool" area, as there are numerous camps with lakes, either real or man-made. Those in our area with which I am familiar have specially designed areas within the lake front for swimming. So, while no pool in many instances, they do have constricted areas in the waterfront. Also applies at the camps on Catalina Island. They still do the mile in open water in most of these areas, though I understand that Cherry Valley no longer goes into open ocean as they did years ago when I did it; about half was actually outside the cove, first against the current, then with it. Was an interesting phenomena for someone like me, as I have never been a real wave rider. All open water swims require a buddy boat with a watcher and rescue equipment.

From the form Eagle92 posted the link to:

"The swim classification test done at a unit level should be conducted by one of the following council- approved resource people: Aquatics Instructor, BSA; Aquatics Cub Supervisor; BSA Lifeguard; BSA Swimming & Water Rescue; or other lifeguard, swimming instructor, etc."

So a SM can't certify a swim test? I don't hold any of the titles listed unless you count earning Lifesaving MB in 1971.

Well, you could play with the distinction between "should be conducted" and "must be conducted". I wouldn't.

It's that whole qualified supervision thing. Make a parent get their certification and have them do the work for you.