Encouraging participation in non-unit functions by scouts

As stated in the parent thread, my troop is unsuccessful in participating in many things beyond the unit level. OA. Jambo. National high adventure. Youth training (e.g. NYLT).

How do you encourage scouts to:

- be involved in OA?

- consider Philmont/Northern Tier/Sea Base

- go to NYLT?

- attend a jamboree? (OK I realize this is quite expensive, and that could be a factor)

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

I have an answer for you, but will have to bring it down to the pack level.

My pack pretty much did not attend RT. They didn't go to POW WOWs, BALOO, District events, banquets, council camp either.

Why?

Because alot of the leadership - who had been in leadership awhile - wasn't interested in that stuff.

So when I took over as CM, one of the first things I did was blow the dust off our pack website and recruit a parent to step up as webmaster and also create a facebook page for us.

I have full admin power as well as the CC and webmaster.

We post anything of potential interest to our scouts and parents.

I myself do not really care for our council ( cub scout) camping as it is really geared to Tigers and Wolves - BUT..... I promote it, I tell parents what the council offers and I tell them that everybody needs to do it at least once and to ignore what anybopdy else says about the camping because: just because Tom and little Jimmy hated it does not mean you and jr will hate it.

I went to our newer leaders and encouraged them to go to RT's. We go to district events, camporees ( Webelos, that is) and banquets. I encourage d den leaders to stop by the scout office/shop.

JUst looking at all the books, gear and activity stuff gave them new ideas.

I also encouraged my leaders to try new stuff and think outside of the box.

SSure that one activity has worked well for the past 15 years, but lets try something new. It may be the best thing we ever try. If it turns out to be a bad idea afterall...well, we at least we now know!

If it turns out great..then cool! We are doing our job and keeping the program fresh!

Simply put...you need somebody who truely believes in doing those things and can sell it to the boys and parents.

Ooops! I meant to throw in there somewhere:

Alot of the reason that members of our pack did not do things is because the older leadership did not make newer leaders or parents or scouts aware of the oppertunities out there.

Our old CM didn't like council camp so she just knew that nobody else would be interested. The ACm thought district and council events were too expensive for his taste so he never bothered to pass on any info about events.

We used to hold our family pack camping on the same date as the council's second camping session.

I worked hard to have our pack camping 3 weeks before the council's first camp session so that people could attend both without overdoing it physically or financvially. People could do both instead of choosing between them.

Again, I post anything that could be of interest to anybody in our pack wether I am interested in that event or not. And not just stuff that is done on a pack or den level, but stuff that can be done on the individual family level too.

Civil war reenactment, 50% off at the aqarium day, Air show at the local military base, tractor pull/mud bog, etc.....

Well the SM's for the Jambo troops are currently making rounds......Invite them to come and do the presentation......

Philmont, Northern Tier and such, there are plenty of adult crew advisors who love to share their experience with another troop......At roundtable stand up and ask the group..

OA.....Our lodge isn't very good, service not much else......Boys go thru the ordeal and generally never go back.

There is a lot of economics involved.....are you troop members poor, middle class, wealthy.... do they drive BMW, Acuras, or Lexus or 10 year old minivans........Money makes the things your asking about much easier.

Adventure doesn't have to cost a lot......you just need to be creative.....

10 year old mini van?

WOW! I wish my vehicle was that new! :)

I drive a 17 year old pickup truck.

But truth is...I'd still drive that truck if I won one of those powerball lotteries.

Yeah, cost is definantly a huge consideration.

Do they understand the offerings?

My son was in a troop where OA was a non-entity. It wasn't surprising that the (very few) adults who wanted to see OA gain a following had a hard time getting the boys (or other adults) interested. None of the boys had any idea what OA was, or what it could be.

Similarly, my boy was the only one in that troop who even knew about NYLT or Jambo. Not because the council failed to advertize, but because the troop did not promote those activities and other adults didn't support them. No other boys seriously considered either of these. And honestly, boys - not adults - are your best recruiters, even if those boys are from other troops. Get them to come in and talk with your troop's youth about the things they did at those events (candidly, without a bunch of hovering adults or lots of slick powerpoint slides) and you might see an up-tick in youth interest.

Cost is a separate issue. Some troops I know of subsidize the cost of NYLT on the theory that it directly benefits the troop to have more trained youth leaders. That helps. I'm not aware of troops that subsidize the cost of high adventure or jambo (other than through individual scout accounts, but the individual boys have to work to earn that money).

AJR2305GDC,

While I'm a big supporter of boy run, ADULTS are often the gateway to all things good and wonderful that scouting has to offer. I've been a Jamboree ASM, staffed WoodBadge and NYLT and serve as an OA Chapter Adviser. I can't tell you how many troops out there have SM's who simply won't respond at the least and flat refuse you at the worst. It often tends to be about them and the amount of time they can or will dedicate to scouting. We lead by example. In the troop I serve, our adults attend Wood Badge. As a result of that, we support and promote NYLT. For the third Jambo running, two of our adults are serving as an SM and ASM for Jambo. WE have at least a dozen boys in the troop signed up. Our unit does a high adventure trip each year that the SM participates in along with a one or two other adults. OA is a no brainer as our SM is Vigil as are his two sons. It wasn't always that way, but it has been for a decade or so because our adults get trained, know what scouting has to offer, signs up for it themselves and leads by example. It only takes getting one boy to participate in something and come back and tell his buddies what a great time he had for something to go viral.

Since I've been involved in many of these things and recruited for all of them, I could tell you a lot of stories. I'll just leave you with one. There is a troop that we've been trying to get let us do an OA election. Their story is always, "our boys just aren't interested". Lo and behold, one of their boys is at the Merit Badge Fair or troop conducts and one of my Associate Advisers get approached by a kid asking questions about his lodge flap. The boy tells him that he'd really like to be in the OA, but the leaders have told them the OA won't come do an election for them.

Now, I realize that YOU want the boys to do all of these things and are frustrated that they don't. That is becausethat has been the troop culture since they have been involved. Adults need to make them aware od what is out there and get involved themselves to change that culture. Crack the dam and the flood will start.

If the folks in your area don't have that financial wiggle room, don't bother promoting "big ticket" items! But if they do ...

Our troop has a bunch of travelers. Always had. Some parents valued that sort of thing, so their boys were going to go somewhere for the summer. Why not Jambo or an H/A base? This is a wild generalization, but these families sacrificed having nicer cars, larger property, or some other amenity that's pretty standard for others in our school district.

I don't know how that cycle started, but it is maintained by youth coming back and sharing their experiences.

Certainly with our crew, the second generation had none of that experience. But they saw the first generation's pictures of Seabase and heard of our wilderness backpacking trips, and that inspired them. On the other hand, no matter how much they hear about Jambo from other scouts, they aren't biting. But, the one thing they do that the first generation didn't is go to Area meetings. Go figure.

I agree with -Fish. Bring back every bit of info from roundtable that you can. Post it somewhere. Get other parents to go to roundtables so they can get inspired.

I also agree with BD. Focus on the youth training and the rest *may* follow. Invite the lodge chief to visit your troop. Plan an activity with a neighboring troop or crew. Get one or two boys to go to your OA conclave. Go to district events. Have an NYLT scholarship fund.

The other stuff may follow. If it doesn't it's the least of your worries, really.

cool I have a cyber stalker.....

OGE I read about other lodges doing more than service.......

I have no problem with doing service but sell that to a 14 or 15 year....

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

In our parts the OA is merely slave labor to set up the summer camps.....which we don't attend.

As Lisabob said, the best recruiters are the scouts themselves. We have 1-4 scouts a year attend NYLT on their dime. Some attend NYLT over summer camp, due to cost.

OA has its draw, but the part about "serving your unit first" is lost on many an adult and scout involved in OA. Something about two masters, I think? :) We have a fellowship weekend once a year for the fun time (and work projects are still available for those that choose to work).

The best recruiters for Sea Base or Boundary Waters is a talk from two friends that attended. They'll have the entire troop talked into a trip! (Seen it happen, twice). Philmont is a great trip, but the non hikers seem to exclude themselves from the possibility of that trip.

Jambo is costly, but to a scout and adult I've spoken to, it has been the pinnacle of their scouting time. $100 buck a month from now to then, and he could go.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

I don't think Jambo will be an option since there wasn't much interest when a leader came from our district to make a powerpoint presentation.

We do have members in the OA, but the last two just got their sashes in 2010 and then do nothing. I will be summer chief at one of our council's camps, so maybe I can start swaying them toward OA; unfortunately they will be at the other boy scout camp this year.

High adventure bases would be fun, but for sure NT would conflict with the troop's Canadian canoe trek every other year, but Seabase may be a fun experience. I think I'll try talking to some of the older scouts and seeing what they would think.

NYLT would be the week before the troop's summer camp week, so I don't know if they would want to do that or not.

AJR

The high adventure bases have a dvd of what their bases are all about, all you need to do is write or email them. I have one showing Philmont, N. Tier, and the Seabase. When my Venturing crew saw sailing a large ship, scuba and snorkeling in the Caribbean they busted their behinds doing fundraisers to go. We have been to the Seabase three times and Philmont once. I have to admit sailing on a large ship in a gorgeous area of the world is hard to beat. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Let's be honest. Has an adult-presented powerpoint **ever** gotten any boy excited about doing much of anything? Snooze. Again, other youth are your best recruiters here. Get away from the powerpoint. Have some boys from other units who attended the last jambo (or philmont, or whatever) come and bring their patch collection, or their photos, or just ask them to join you for a campfire, sit with your guys, and share stories about their adventures. THAT will get other boys excited about going much faster than some windbag adult the boys have never met before, with a powerpoint.

And about NYLT: You may have some older boys in your troop who are tired of traditional scout camp, but who would enjoy NYLT a lot. It is worth letting them know about it.

By the way, I like the dvds a lot better than the powerpoints.

(This message has been edited by lisabob)