Kudu,

I was trying to have a civil discussion on this topic. I hadn't decided how to handle this when I first posted but now that I have I would think you could respect my decision and not blast me for it. I do believe your comments are argumentative and disrespectful to another Scouter who cares about boys and works as hard at providing a good program as I'm sure you do.

Kudu, do you really think you're the only one here who reads BP's works? The only one who sends boys out all day with map and compass on patrol hikes without adults? Really? Do you think you're the only one taking boys out backpacking and canoeing? Do you really think that you get to decide that boys who don't like to backpack are not real scouts and that anyone who doesn't run their program the way you do is running a Web 3 program?

I've seen all kinds of troops, some like yours, some you might describe as Web 3 programs, but most are somewhere in between. Some types of programs work for some kids, some don't. The boys get to decide where they join and what type of program they get. You don't.

You also don't get to decide who the real scouts are in my troop. And you don't get to disrespect others just because they see things differently than you. I might not stress 300 feet but I do stress the Scout Oath and Law, something I've been living by since 1964.

I do appreciate the rest of you weighing in though, thank you.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chazz,

First off I see no reason why any young boy 11 or 12 would need to be at summer camp with a cell phone. Also I have been doing summer camp for the past 20 years and the first thing you learn is that once the boy has heard mommy or daddy on the phone you have lost him. Now no matter what he is going to want to go home even more. I have never seen a reason or need for cell phones at camp. I carry one for emergencies and have a couple of leaders who do the same, if there is some reason fror them to use it they will go off out of the view of the scouts.

Eagle732 writes:

"Do you really think that you get to decide that boys who don't like to backpack are not real scouts"

Um, yes because I clearly identified that as "My Prejudice." The result of my prejudice is that our "Real Scouts" get to decide their own policy on a trivial matter over which adults should have no say in the deep backwoods.

I did ask you if my videos of Scouts with electronics setting off on four backpacking treks made you ill. We will take your last post as a "Yes." :)

Eagle732 writes:

"I hadn't decided how to handle this when I first posted but now that I have I would think you could respect my decision..."

OK, I missed that. I thought we were talking about the Scouts' decisions.

Eagle732 writes:

"I was trying to have a civil discussion on this topic."

My post was civil. Lots of humor. Good advice on how to test for possible differences in responsibility between indoor boys and deep backwoodsmen. Poking fun at my own prejudices. Inviting you to do the same (my bad!)

If you think my last post was NOT "civil" then you should click "Ignore this user" below "Kudu" on the left of your screen.

Now.

Eagle732 writes:

"I do believe your comments are argumentative and disrespectful to another Scouter..."

No, if I wanted to be argumentative and disrespectful, I would state the obvious:

Your last post reveals how your Scouts see you:

"Respect my decision" because "I might not stress 300 feet but I do stress the Scout Oath and Law, something I've been living by since 1964."

I wonder why your SPL and PLC decided to let you have your way?

Now that they have, CHLees3rd has the perfect advice: Remind the SPL and PLC that you've got them by the balls. If they don't enforce your "Respect my decision" policy, you will screw them at advancement time. Lesson Learned: Don't Suck Up.

Well, I'm out the door. Our Scouts have a FL Keys SCUBA dive at less than 300 feet,

Kudu