I think this is how it is supposed to work

Well I finally convinced my Skipper to let the crew elect a full quarterdeck, and to let them actually do their jobs. While it took a lot of coaching on the part of one of our other senior crew members and I, the quarterdeck put together a full calender for this next year with no adult intervention.

About a month ago that other crew member and I trained the new quarterdeck for their positions.

Our Yeoman has taken over the previously parent run ship newsletter.

The Purser is working with the treasurer to keep track of our money.

The Storekeeper started an inventory of all our stuff (two large conex boxes, plus the stuff on the boat).

Our Bosun is starting to get the hang of doing her thing.

The two bosun mates are starting to also do their jobs.

I predict that in less than 2 months that other senior crew member and I will no longer need to whisper suggestions to the bosun. We should be able to just step back and wait for them to come up to us with questions.

This is shaping up to be a pretty awesome year for our crew.

Congradulations! Sounds like not only are you shaping the crew up to run themselves, but you two senior crew members are also becoming awsome at guiding and stepping back. Which is awesome.

Now SM call that being able to sit back in their campchair with their cup of coffee and do nothing. What do the Adult leadership (?Skipper?) do?.. Sit in deckchairs, tanning?

He runs around attempting to keep the parents off our backs, and worrying that it is all going to fall apart. I split my time between coaching our quarterdeck, teaching the crew stuff, and explaining to him that everything is actually working.

On behalf of the many youth who will benefit from your hard work, thanks for stepping in and coaching your Skipper.

I've learned so much from my youth. I think I still have a lot to learn.

The biggest challenge is that parents-off-the-back thing.

It is going to be interesting to see how this all works out over the next year. We are the only ship in our area trying to run this way. Every other ship has a much more rigid adult directed structure.