Staff spring NYLT

Day Camp director

President anywhere city kiwanis

Lions club member

Rotarian Secretary

Anywhere city Business Association

Trustee Anywhere United Methodist Church

Yep seen them just like that.

A signature in line with whom you are communicating on behalf of is okay dokay with me.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only use the position that is relevant to the communication. I know people that feel they have to list everything. Maybe it's to get their ego stroked? I was at a Troop meeting where I used to be Scoutmaster, and I introduced myself to the new committee chairman just using my name. People told me that I needed to tell him who I was and I told him that I was a "nobody". It wasn't relevant that I am the Lodge Adviser and VP for Program.

Emails.... I have more issues with people not directly answering questions posed in emails, replying with 1 non-specific word to multiple questions, or a blank subject line.

The signature block can be useful, like the Wood Badge stuff if it's during the current course or as the ticket counselor.

General rule I use: If it ain't current, don't list it.

I am spread out in the Scouting Community I serve .. as a ASM, Unit Commissioner for Cub, Scout, Crew, Council Training Comm., and Council Adv. Comm.

If I send out more of a targeted mass email, I might include 2-3 positions... you never know you might be hearing back from someone for a UC function, who emails back because they are interested in Training or a Merit Badge Councilor question.

DG

"If I send out more of a targeted mass email, I might include 2-3 positions... you never know you might be hearing back from someone for a UC function, who emails back because they are interested in Training or a Merit Badge Councilor question."

That is reasonable, and you aren't putting in your positions with your church, and your position with other organizations.

Like Basement said, it gets comedic when people have positions they are no longer part of, or positions with other organizations that don't apply to scouting.

Use the titles relevant to the message. Just enough to help recipients understand where they might know the writer.

Parents in the troop only need to know I'm ASM and maybe crew advisor. Parents and youth in the crew only need to know I'm Advisor. And only then after we've had a bump in membership. Why? Because they may not remember my name -- even though they've just signed the youth over to my care.

Folks around council might need to know I'm both of the above and Advisor to VP-Program VOA. My wood badge SM likes to know the positions I hold as well as my patrol, so I may add "Old Crow".

If it's familiar correspondence (to familiar adults and crew officers), however, it's usually ...

Yours in a spirit of fun and adventure,

Scouts and other youth it's often:

Yours scoutingly,

Mr.

Needless to say, I hate auto-signatures! I'd invariably pick the wrong one and wind up offending someone like TwoCub!

Beavah: "Don't they already know you're the chapter adviser?"

If they didn't, they do now. I also sign my work email with Senior Business Analyst, when most of the people I deal with already know that. It is customary as well as expected to include your title and contact information in your official correspondence.

I'm guessing in your line of work you don't just sign everything Beavah do you?

I'm guessing in your line of work you don't just sign everything Beavah do you?

Well, now that would be sorta fun :)

In emails, though? Yah, sure, I mostly just sign my first name. No need to put on airs with folks who know who I am, and email is mostly for memo-like communication rather than full formal letters. I've got a signature block that I can trigger for when I need to include one for full contact information, and a couple others for when I have to add other sorts of disclaimer language or whatnot.

Now I can understand it in Mr. Quazse's case, because that's a just plain hard name to remember, let alone type. ;)

Beavah

It kinda reminds me of some of the scouters' uniforms. The more "stuff" you have on it the more impressive it is supposed to be....

Rev. Stosh, AA, BS, MDiv, EMT-A, ERT, etc. etc. etc.

After reading all that alphabet soup, I bet the only letters that jump out are BS. :)

What I was trying to say it in some environments, the initials just don't matter, I would expect the Head of Pharmacy to be a registrered Pharmacist, the Lab Manger a registred Medical Technologist, the head of Physical Therapy to be Registered Physical Therapist

I guess the quesition is, how important are titles anyway?

Well Beavah, your line of work still places a lot of importance on the use of paper, ink and postage. Mine went digital ages ago. I haven't sent or received a paper memo or letter at work in more than a decade. That being said, since my industry formally corresponds digitally, all of the same rules and ettiqutte still apply. When I send my brother a joke by email, do I include my title? No. Heck, I usually don't even put my name. If I'm emailing a client or a vendor, you betcha. It's the professional thing to do. And for those OA candidates or Packs wanting a Webelos crossover ceremony, it's helpful for them to know who this guy is sending them an email.

I think some of you are missing the point. If you're the OA advisor sending an email about an upcoming OA event, it's perfect acceptable to sign off with John Smith, OA Chapter Advisor. Or for the membership chairman to send an email regarding Cub roundup signed, Jane Doe, District Membership Chairman.

What's pompus are the emails I get which list five different positions you hold or have held, four of which have absolutely no relationship to the subject of the email. Pure puffery.

More likely lazy instead of pompous. The guy has one auto-signature and puts every catch-all position in it.

(By the way, in my previous post, I forgot that right-left carets and anything between get interpreted as .html it's usually ...

Yours in a spirit of fun and adventure,

_First_Name_

Scouts and other youth it's often:

Yours scoutingly,

Mr. _Last_Name_)