Jeffrey H. wrote:

She may not want to let go because she may not have any other "hobbies" or interests outside of Scouting. Just a guess but that is sometimes the case. ... I enjoy Scouting, but I do not want to put myself in a situation where I cannot let go. I could easily hand over my CM duties to a capable, enthusiastic leader. Transition/Succession plans are important.

It's fairly easy for each of us to know when's the right time for us to go. But how do you let other people know that it's time for them to go? How do you nudge that 20-year veteran out the door? How do you convince someone that it's time to start a succession plan, when that person doesn't want to give it up? How do you do all this gently and respectfully, honoring their years of service, while making room for new blood?

Concrete advice desired. Let's brainstorm.

Lets see it took a new district chairman to show the good old boys club the door.....

Don't know that there is an easy way to do it that will not result in hard feelings.......

I stepped a side for a new basically new pack leadership thru out...... I was/am ready to step back for a while....

things are getting better.....At least our district is putting on its own day camp.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Damn, Basement..sounds like you wore some people down...awesome job!

Shortridge: I have kinda/sorta done this before. I say kinda /sorta because I have done it, just not with anybody higher than a DL.

I took our DL aside and told him that, he was alot like an older car:

They don't build them like that anymore, and the craftsmanship today is never gonna be like it was back then. Stle today just isn't compared to the old cars...but, at the same time, the new cars are built a little safer, more efficent, and that's what the younger crowd buys today.

Cars are constantly changing and evolving. Every time you turn around, each manufacturer has come out with a newer or better way of doing the same old thing.

Fresher ideas that really appeal to todays younger generation.

NOw, even though there is nothing wrong with the old car, it's time to let the new cars have their day.

Yeah, strange as this sounds, it has worked for me in cub scouts and at work.

I'm an analogy kinda guy, so that's what I do best! :)

I have a few thoughts on how to encourage someone to step down gracefully.

One - define some other type of role that you need them for. Make it something that genuinely plays to their strength.

Two - talk to them openly and honestly. Ask them what they hope to get out of their position. Do they want to see {boys going camping, boys earning rank, new trained adults, whatever it is that their position in particular is responsible for.} Then ask them if they think that they are being effective at getting that result. What could make someone more effective in that position? Would they be willing to make those changes? Do they think someone new might bring in other perspectives?

Three - if there is a nice milestone coming up, you might see if it would make for a good celebration (20 years with the troop). Regardless, you could suggest to the person that it's good to go out on top. Have them be the featured guest at a troop banquet.

Four - You could ask the person about succession plans. This would work best if you're doing it for multiple adult positions and not just theirs. What kind of person would we look for to backfill them? Who might be good candidates? What would they see themselves doing if they moved on to another position?

Just some brainstorming ideas.

since becoming active with the pack i speak of succession planning at every pack committee meeting.....There is always room for someone who would like to volunteer.....

It isn't a matter of wearing anyone down or out.....It is a matter of making it fun even for the adults..... Recognize them frequently and don't call out the failures....Eventually success will come.

I keep trying to go but...

A week or so back I made up my mind that I was not only going, but gone.

I hadn't send my money in to re-new my membership.

In fact being as I was a District Member At Large and the District had been done away with. I seen myself as unemployed.

I sent a email to my good friend who had been the District Chair. Saying that I couldn't see myself doing very much, that I'd still buy a table at the Council Dinner and if he knew anyone that needed uniforms to give them my number and they could have them.

He emailed back saying that he'd paid my membership fee and I was still a member at large and he needed my help on a nominating committee.

Over the past seven years or so I have cut back a lot.

A lot of the time I'm really sad to see how things are going, but at the same time I know that I'm unwilling to do anything about it.

I still have 4 sail boats on my property, I still have a lot of pioneering equipment and still have a lot of land that Scouts could if they want camp on.

I don't say very much about the job others are doing or trying to do. My thinking is that if you can't say something nice, it's better to just not say anything.

Of course if someone asks for help, I do my best to be of service.

Still unless my son gets married and has a son, I think my days of being active are done.

I don't mind writing a check now and then.

If invited to a ESCOH, I try to attend.

I don't attend WB feasts - I don't see my being there adds anything.

I'm kinda busy with a few other organizations that are a million miles away from anything to do with Scouting.

I've also got out of the habit of rushing out to attend meetings that a lot of the time are just held in order to say that a meeting was held.

Ea.

I admit I am a scouting addict. Scouting has been good to me, no VERY good to me, and I enjoy giving back. I have served in various capacities and done all kinds of things.

But there were three instances when I started turning into the cranky one. I started getting frustrated with the situation, and I was dreading doing the jobs.

Two were as a professional. First time it was the wife giving me an ultimatum that got me to see I needed to get out. Good news was that it didn't affect kids.

Second time, I caught myself getting into cranky mode, and I redirected. grant yo that entailed a new career path. But it was a very good decision.

The last time was as a volunteer doing something I loved. But over time the responsibilities kept getting heavier and heavier. Yep it took me 2-4 months to finally step back once I realized I needed to move on. But the time was spent lookign for a replacement.

The key is trying to redirect folks utilizing their strengths.

As a pro I had to have a heart to heart with someone. The person was doing too much, being a CM, CS RT Commissioner, CS activities, and day camp. She was so spread thin that she was not doing a good job with any of them. I had to tell her to she really needed to back down from some responsibilities and spend more time focusing on one, maximum 2 things. Bad news was that I left shortly after the conversation.